What's best to run in a sump

It's a year old and I bought it 6 weeks ago. I was just worried that the bio media has been in there to long and is not doing anything
Many thanks

Biomax is just surface area for beneficial bacteria. It doesn't "go bad". It doesn't have as much surface area as some of the newer ones, some of which are mentioned above. I like Brightwell's version because it is also impregnated with something like what a sulfur denitrator uses to lower nitrates. I agree though that for now I would practice good husbandry and monitor your readings to see if they will come down on their own.
 
For one of my tanks.
the sump is mostly all natural except the skimmer.

First chamber i have is skimmer section. chaeto and a DSB in second chamber and return in the third

My other tank is a lil cooler.
First chamber: Macroalgae, snails, crabs.
Second chamber: skimmer
third chamber: return Pump, GFO and Carbon
 
Biomax is just surface area for beneficial bacteria. It doesn't "go bad". It doesn't have as much surface area as some of the newer ones, some of which are mentioned above. I like Brightwell's version because it is also impregnated with something like what a sulfur denitrator uses to lower nitrates. I agree though that for now I would practice good husbandry and monitor your readings to see if they will come down on their own.
Ok thank you I will be sure to do that. Hopefully it will settle down
 
For one of my tanks.
the sump is mostly all natural except the skimmer.

First chamber i have is skimmer section. chaeto and a DSB in second chamber and return in the third

My other tank is a lil cooler.
First chamber: Macroalgae, snails, crabs.
Second chamber: skimmer
third chamber: return Pump, GFO and Carbon
 
Thank you. I've just ordered a new ight because my cheato had no growth so hopefully that will help with my nitrates.
 
just
Thank you. I've just ordered a new ight because my cheato had no growth so hopefully that will help with my nitrates.
make sure the chaeto is moving, algae will grow on the chaeto very very fast
 
My opinion.. Nitrate and phosphate can only go up if you are putting more in than taking out.

You say it is a mature tank but only had it 6 weeks. Did you move it. If so all the nitrate and phosphate that was in the substrate may have gotten disturbed.

Was there algae? It could die off and cause levels to increase.

Did something die in the tank?

How many fish are in it and how much are you feeding every day?

The corals not doing good may or may not be related to Nitrate and Phosphate.

What are the calcium and alkalinity levels?

I have seen many times when someone is selling a tank it is because something was out of balance and they never could figure it out.

Don't get overwhelmed with all the questions but without knowing everything we can't figure out what it is out of balance.

My tank went through all the different phases, green hair algae, cyano, high nutrients and many more. It is just part of it. Any good reefer has dealt with it all. You are in the right place to figure out.
 
My opinion.. Nitrate and phosphate can only go up if you are putting more in than taking out.

You say it is a mature tank but only had it 6 weeks. Did you move it. If so all the nitrate and phosphate that was in the substrate may have gotten disturbed.

Was there algae? It could die off and cause levels to increase.

Did something die in the tank?

How many fish are in it and how much are you feeding every day?

The corals not doing good may or may not be related to Nitrate and Phosphate.

What are the calcium and alkalinity levels?

I have seen many times when someone is selling a tank it is because something was out of balance and they never could figure it out.

Don't get overwhelmed with all the questions but without knowing everything we can't figure out what it is out of balance.

My tank went through all the different phases, green hair algae, cyano, high nutrients and many more. It is just part of it. Any good reefer has dealt with it all. You are in the right place to figure out.
I've had it 6 weeks but the person I bought it off had it for a year so I disturbed it taking it apart and setting it up again. Calcium is at 450,
My opinion.. Nitrate and phosphate can only go up if you are putting more in than taking out.

You say it is a mature tank but only had it 6 weeks. Did you move it. If so all the nitrate and phosphate that was in the substrate may have gotten disturbed.

Was there algae? It could die off and cause levels to increase.

Did something die in the tank?

How many fish are in it and how much are you feeding every day?

The corals not doing good may or may not be related to Nitrate and Phosphate.

What are the calcium and alkalinity levels?

I have seen many times when someone is selling a tank it is because something was out of balance and they never could figure it out.

Don't get overwhelmed with all the questions but without knowing everything we can't figure out what it is out of balance.

My tank went through all the different phases, green hair algae, cyano, high nutrients and many more. It is just part of it. Any good reefer has dealt with it all. You are in the right place to figure out.
I bought it 6 weeks ago off someone that had it running for a year. There was no algae in it at all but there has been diatoms now and again since. The calcium is at 450 but I'm not sure about alkalinity! I'll test it later. I've had nothing die. I've got two clowns, one Mandarin goby, one regal tang and a Bleny and a clean up crew. I feed them frozen Marine mix twice a day and I've learn to thaw it out and strain the excess off so not to add extra nitrates off. Any criticisms will definitely be appreciated!
Many thanks
 
If its like my sump, the return water goes into its own chamber just big enough for a bag, then that has holes on 2 walls, one to the skimmer chamber and the other smaller hole to the macro algae compartment. Then the skimmer and macro chambers dump into the return pump chamber. My Chaeto doesnt get enough flow to move at all but is living. I might have new sump built or modify this one. Otherwise a small pump will be added to the chaeto chamber for movement. I want this system to perform well.

And for the OP. I had the same issues. Bought and moved a running system. Ben running now for about 3 weeks. Nitrates shot up but everything else was good. The Nitrates are now around 50ppm, they were at 160+ which was the highest testable reading. Its coming down and the hair algae seems to be decreasing now. And the coraline has started to take off again. Brown algae is also being outrun by the coraline again. All inhabitants look good so far. Just need a better sump design.
 
Doser, skimmer, reactor or two and algae scrubber
 
Here is a quick video of my tank. I have found that I like to check out people's tanks that give me advice. It is not looking it's best as I am removing the sand and changed lights last week.
There are many ways to be successful. Here are some pictures of my sump. As you can see there is so much chaeto that it doesn't move. I have an auto feeder dumping food 4 times a day. As you see my skimmer is off. My nutrients are too low. I am going to have to add more fish soon to help raise the nutrients.
20190102_220927.jpg
20190102_220935.jpg
I would test. Then not add anything to the tank and tear daily for a couple of days. If your nutrients go up then you know something already in the tank is causing them to go up.
 
Here is a quick video of my tank. I have found that I like to check out people's tanks that give me advice. It is not looking it's best as I am removing the sand and changed lights last week.
There are many ways to be successful. Here are some pictures of my sump. As you can see there is so much chaeto that it doesn't move. I have an auto feeder dumping food 4 times a day. As you see my skimmer is off. My nutrients are too low. I am going to have to add more fish soon to help raise the nutrients.
20190102_220927.jpg
20190102_220935.jpg
I would test. Then not add anything to the tank and tear daily for a couple of days. If your nutrients go up then you know something already in the tank is causing them to go up.
Brilliant advice all thank you very much, it's really apriciated
 
Ps that tank looks amazing.
Brilliant advice all thank you very much, it's really apriciated
Here is a quick video of my tank. I have found that I like to check out people's tanks that give me advice. It is not looking it's best as I am removing the sand and changed lights last week.
There are many ways to be successful. Here are some pictures of my sump. As you can see there is so much chaeto that it doesn't move. I have an auto feeder dumping food 4 times a day. As you see my skimmer is off. My nutrients are too low. I am going to have to add more fish soon to help raise the nutrients.
20190102_220927.jpg
20190102_220935.jpg
I would test. Then not add anything to the tank and tear daily for a couple of days. If your nutrients go up then you know something already in the tank is causing them to go up.
I leave my skimmer running 24/7 I don't know if that's right or not and I was told to run my light an hour before my flights go off at night until they come on in the morning, how long do you run your sump light for?
 
Thank you. What do you run in your reactors and what algae scrubber do you have?

Reactor- I have 80% carbon and 20% GFO
Algae Scrubber is Clearwater 100
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top