What's happening to my yellow polyps?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Adam113
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Then the two things on the top of my head are. Algae or a fungus. It could also be some other pretty benign form of life but the case is likeley the same.

Flow and cleaning. In the wild file is big and on some days it's huge. So the corals close up and get blasted in storms. This blows all the funk off. It cleans them.

Plus thers a lot more things eating and removing gunk from the corals in the wild too so quite often the corals are regularly groomed.

So imo in captivity we don't provide that well. Build up can cause problems like bacterial infections and the growth of fungus.

I regularly blow the heck out of my tank with a turkey baster. I used to have a maxijet on a timer that would come in a few times a day and blow up a storm. Worded too well though and made my sps really huge.

So clean those guys off I'd say and if it's easy to get out. Use tank water with a few extra drops if lugols iodine and Swish it around after you clean it. Peroxide works too but Is harsher to the coral.
Both are reeef safe.

Thank you very much for all of that. I'm definitely still new to this and any new information is stuff that is greatly appreciated.
 
Thank you very much for all of that. I'm definitely still new to this and any new information is stuff that is greatly appreciated.
Yea no worries. We like to pass it along...

Another bit of reefer wisdom. Logols is stupid expensive for a tiny bottle. Thers not much special in but its been around for years and we know exactly how much of what it in it. And my bottle is 8 yrs old. but I was glad I had it when i needed it.
 
Alright, so the yellow polyps are looking amazing now. Beautiful, yellow, and wide open. There's still the weird white residue on the flutes. Any ideas what it could be? It doesn't blow off with a baster. Here's a pic I took today before the lights come on. And a picture of them all open and happy.
IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3245.JPG
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top