What's your experience with Aiptasia KILLERS?

Do you currently have aiptasia in your aquarium?

  • NONE

    Votes: 363 40.9%
  • Very few, maybe one or two..

    Votes: 222 25.0%
  • I can see several here and there..

    Votes: 157 17.7%
  • I have quite a few and I'm starting to worry..

    Votes: 78 8.8%
  • I have an infestation and I need help..

    Votes: 46 5.2%
  • Other..

    Votes: 21 2.4%

  • Total voters
    887
If you want to kill the overflow jerks I did it. I have never been so proud after fighting a war with aiptasia I think I rather get divorced. It is hell. But I had enough. So I had at least 25 big ones in the overflow. I shut off the valves so no water was allowed in the sump or coming from tank. I siphoned all the water out of overflow. I took boiling water several pans worth and filled that pig up and added vinegar as I went I let that sit for a day and a half. I than siphoned it all out. All dead jerks. Took a couple of hours. Wiped it down with vinegar let it dry and started the overflow. The war was over. I had won and now everything gets quarantined. Never again.
Think your right russel , but have a look at my copperband xxl....
Screenshot_20210325-080125.jpg
 
Can you elaborate on the bleach method please;Bookworm
Took the rock out & bleached it. Tap water & bleach let it sit for a week then the same again with dechlorinator to try & take all the bleach out, then you let it dry so the bleach can gas off. If aiptasia can survive that, they'll survive anything lol I took the time to try a little bit of negative aquascaping. There's also other stuff I've been told about recently that melts them completely. Sodium hydroxide & calcium hydroxide. Fella told me about says he's been aiptasia free since he used it & they are cheap on ebay.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20210320_121456.jpg
    IMG_20210320_121456.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 45
4 peppermint shrimp in a 23 gallon display

They decimated the aiptasia.

Then they started harassing my snails (cowries).
They also attacked some corals.

Then they started killing my snails.


This is even with heavy feeding.

I was able to trap 2 with a bottle trap. They are in my sump now.
I had to use a net on a third, they figured out the trap and would not be fooled.

The fourth is still in my tank and I am watching it like a hawk.


10 dollars per shrimp, but when they are killing 5 dollar snails for no good reason they make me go berzerk.

Peppermint shrimp are like fighting fire with fire. It can work. But it can also bite you.

"Less is more"
 
Aiptasia anemones are a pest to the nth degree! They almost seemingly appear from nowhere and seem to breed in epic proportions. They are a pain to say the least. :p So in order to be a good steward of our reef aquarium it is up to us to "eliminate" them. But there are so many different ways that claim to get this job done and knowing what works and what doesn't work can be a challenge. There are aiptasia killing wands, aiptasia killing nudis, aiptasia killing juice, aiptasia killing fish and so on and so forth. So today I would like to ask you about your experience with Aiptasia killers!

1. What has been the BEST and most effective "tool" that you have used to get rid of aiptasia in your aquarium?

2. What are all the ways that have worked and have not worked?



BerghiaEatingThreeAiptasia.jpg

berghia nudis eating aiptasia from this zoanthid colony: image via www.saltyunderground.com
I purchased a file fish and within two weeks, all aphasia were gone. I did not see him actually eating them but.....
 
So I have two aiptasia I just noticed in my overflow. I haven’t seen any in my display tank. Can I empty the overflow’s water for a couple hours and dry them out? Would that be enough to kill the ones I see? I have peppermint shrimp in my display. I’m guessing they have kept it under control there.
 
So I have two aiptasia I just noticed in my overflow. I haven’t seen any in my display tank. Can I empty the overflow’s water for a couple hours and dry them out? Would that be enough to kill the ones I see? I have peppermint shrimp in my display. I’m guessing they have kept it under control there.
I have the same problem, except, my copperband is keeping them at bay in my display tank.
 
File fish.
That guy was so dedicated that after he ate all the aptasia he went after my carpet nem. I now have him on call in another tank with only zoas.
 
I also found them in my overflow. If you have the right peppermint shrimp (the variety that actually eats Aptasia ), to control them in your display tank then you can turn the flow off and use Red Sea Fish Aptasia-X. I’ve done this recently and it worked on large Aptasia in my overflow. The biggest issue for me was getting my hand inside the overflows to apply the Aptasia-X. Good luck
 
Put file fish in overflow for a day or two....no more atipsia probably! :)
 
So I have two aiptasia I just noticed in my overflow. I haven’t seen any in my display tank. Can I empty the overflow’s water for a couple hours and dry them out? Would that be enough to kill the ones I see? I have peppermint shrimp in my display. I’m guessing they have kept it under control there.
Use hot water to cook it
 
I have three aiptasia in my tank right now, one I could easily remove as its on a loose piece of rock, the one is in a GSP and one is close to some xenia. Would a filefish work in a 20g? with two clowns and a bicolor blenny.
 
I've had apastisa problem n the past and it really freaked me out. This time when I purchased my live rock I was ready. Bought nudibranch, file fish and a copperband. The copperband ate the nudist, the filefish only attacked the apastisa after I applied the apastisa x but the x got rid of All the big ones and my 2 apastisa killing fish must b taking care of any babies as i no longer have that problem. Just a note, don't try pep. shrimp w nudibranch as the shrimp prefer nudist to apastisa
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top