What's your experience with Live Rock Epoxy or Cement?

Did you use some type of an epoxy or cement on your current aquascape?

  • YES

    Votes: 290 54.0%
  • NO

    Votes: 185 34.5%
  • Will in the future

    Votes: 54 10.1%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 8 1.5%

  • Total voters
    537
Superglue/baking soda, driveway markers, and hydraulic cement w/acrylic additive. Yes, just Quikrete stuff.

8mo and no issues. Coralline is taking off finally... I know eventually I will wish it weren’t!
 
I originally dove for all my rocks but over the years I replaced most of them with DIY rocks only because I could make nicer shapes and larger rocks.

This one and one twice as long are the backbone of my reef. They are built out of smaller rocks cemented together with mortar like you use for bricks.



The rest of my rock are hollow and I built them over a skeleton of PVC with cement on the outside. I really like these because they are practically free, can be made any shape or size, but the best part is they are hollow allowing for much more surface area than real rock.











This is holding up part of the structure because I don't want any large rocks sitting on the gravel.





I posted an article about it here.
www.reef2reef.com/ams/build-your-own-rock-for-practically-free.180/

Of course the plan is that you don't see any in the finished reef.

 
I did but I really hate using epoxy. The color never quite looks right. I have a few seams that I’m hoping will be hidden by coral eventually. When using epoxy to glue down frags under water it’s even worse. I find that the plug stays loose once the epoxy dries. It just doesn’t have the hold I wish it did. I use super glue for everything now. I think for my next tank I’m going to try to scape using super glue and argonite powder to make a cement to glue the rocks together.
 
so what is dry rock made of
 
Just acrylic rods and a little bit D & D Aquascape putty. Think I would use E Macro cement in the future
Screenshot_20200529-223627_Chrome.jpg
 
Superglue first and instaset. I have used epoxy for the first year before switching to emarco cement which I prefer a great deal more. Stronger bond and less brittle. Also it’s easy to blend it into the scape so it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb!
I use the same but instaset isn’t basically alkalinity solution same some money and use that instead.
 
I’m
I use Marcos Rock Mortar, is a good product and very firm when is dry. Here some pictures to the work with rocks and my tank at the beginning of my project.
IMG_7050.JPG
IMG_7043.jpeg
IMG_7044.jpeg
IMG_7060.jpeg
IMG_7135.jpeg
IMG_7215.jpeg
IMG_7216.jpeg
also a huge fan of Emarco cement...it’s easy to mix, can be used on wet or slimy rocks, and pretty much indestructible when it’s set. I wouldn’t dream of going back to super glue.
 
That’s
I originally dove for all my rocks but over the years I replaced most of them with DIY rocks only because I could make nicer shapes and larger rocks.

This one and one twice as long are the backbone of my reef. They are built out of smaller rocks cemented together with mortar like you use for bricks.



The rest of my rock are hollow and I built them over a skeleton of PVC with cement on the outside. I really like these because they are practically free, can be made any shape or size, but the best part is they are hollow allowing for much more surface area than real rock.











This is holding up part of the structure because I don't want any large rocks sitting on the gravel.





I posted an article about it here.
www.reef2reef.com/ams/build-your-own-rock-for-practically-free.180/

Of course the plan is that you don't see any in the finished reef.

a fantastic idea!!!!
 
Emarco works great and hold tight
 

Attachments

  • CDBA7622-5743-43A0-B608-3F76F0E97643.jpeg
    CDBA7622-5743-43A0-B608-3F76F0E97643.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 63
  • A2302714-0BB1-4C46-BE61-9AA0B05F17FD.jpeg
    A2302714-0BB1-4C46-BE61-9AA0B05F17FD.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 57
  • A70D54BF-89C3-4F2A-B799-F67A7E345ACD.jpeg
    A70D54BF-89C3-4F2A-B799-F67A7E345ACD.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 80951D2D-75CC-42E4-B3EA-D59D0B834C84.jpeg
    80951D2D-75CC-42E4-B3EA-D59D0B834C84.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 57
Insta set, super glue and eMarco. First try at this. Working on a second build now and hopefully can do even better.
 

Attachments

  • DF603DA3-AF9D-41E0-8969-1C4D268BFFC9.jpeg
    DF603DA3-AF9D-41E0-8969-1C4D268BFFC9.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 3E549105-385B-4A97-8809-231DEE0325A7.jpeg
    3E549105-385B-4A97-8809-231DEE0325A7.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 958B37A9-75BD-4D84-BCFA-4C65DCF93B2F.jpeg
    958B37A9-75BD-4D84-BCFA-4C65DCF93B2F.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 7D11F12F-CC6A-4207-8D6C-1E5E4DE5ADDC.jpeg
    7D11F12F-CC6A-4207-8D6C-1E5E4DE5ADDC.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 50
No sticking the rocks together, just stack in a locked position, and small putty blobs for anchors as needed. I like to be able to pull single rocks out if needed
 
I use dollar store gel superglue for frags. I drill and fiberglass rod rockwork, usually gluing one side. Easy disassembly when that inevitable disaster strikes.
 
I just use E-Macro 400, superglue, and sand to hide the seams. Only have been stacking the rock until the past few months when i learned that superglue and mortar are safe to just throw right in the tank. Dry rock is also very cost effective and doesn't get ruined when shipped.
 
I use Marcos Rock Mortar, is a good product and very firm when is dry. Here some pictures to the work with rocks and my tank at the beginning of my project.
IMG_7050.JPG
IMG_7043.jpeg
IMG_7044.jpeg
IMG_7060.jpeg
IMG_7135.jpeg
IMG_7215.jpeg
IMG_7216.jpeg
I really like your plumbing. Where did you get the clips to hold the pipes (clips that hold the pipes on the ceiling of the sump area)?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top