What's your UGH... Melters story?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2009
Messages
21,934
Reaction score
663
Location
lovely rainy NW Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've been bitten by the Z N P bug I'm sure you've experienced some depressing melt downs. I'd like to know what Z's N P's everyone has had that have melted on them. Pics would be great too.

I once had this really cool colony of micro Zoas about 10 years ago, they were the brightest yellow Zoa's I've ever seen. Back then I didn't have a good camera so I don't have a pic. I had them for several months and then all of a sudden POOF! they were gone...
 
Had this colony which was bigger than this photo melt away in days! :(

arms_zps19568971.jpg
 
I had a big colony of AOG palys that melted down to 2 closed, sickly polyps in just a couple of days...thankfully, those two polyps held on and recovered. I'm now back up to about 15 polyps. :D
 
BTW the photo I posted were of Armageddons. :(
 
I had couple of paly not sure about name they melting also .
Shall we open new thread to figure out what reason of melting z's and p's
 
I had two colonies start melting on me. Water changes and Vitamin C dosing helped me.
 
I had couple of paly not sure about name they melting also .

Shall we open new thread to figure out what reason of melting z's and p's

Yes! I'm so new that nothing has melted on me yet. I'm just now setting up my paly/zoa gardens. If I can prevent it ahead of time, that would be great!
 
The problem they start doing well when I had them for couple months then suddenly shrink and melting
 
I lost my main colony of Flaming Fruits
Flaming Fruits 1-14 sharp.jpg


I also lost my colony of these...I forget the name but I really loved them
crazy polyp - Copy.jpg
 
Beautiful mixed rock of zoas: king midas,pink panthers,radioactive dragon eyes,fruit loops,and a few more. Looked great for 2 months then it went all wicked witch on me and melted. No dip or anything could stop it. I saved the tubs blue and a couple of fruit loops only to have then melt 6 months later.
other zoas in my tank were fine.



IMG_2054.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 213
Couldn't keep utter chaos until I started dosing alk/cal......I also lost a colony of scarfaces......thought to myself since the utter chaos have lasted I'll try Scarface again. Nope melted for no reason in days after having them for 4 months
 
When I first got my darth mauls they were gorgeous and new polyps were poppin up all the time... it was going so good I split it in to two colonies and gave a buddy a few polyps ... I didn't frag them they grew onto another rock, I may have had to snip the mat I don't recall it's been awhile, but sometime later (month or two) yup u guessed it , started melting away ......In both tanks... After some time all were gone except one polyp that is holding on, stayed that way for many months but as of late I'm happy to report I can see the mat growing and should sprout 2 more heads any day now. I can only hope that colony explodes again like it did but hell I'll be happy if I get to keep the one big beautiful polyp . I also have 2 versions of lunar destroyers with basically the same story but from a dozen or so polyps on each colony down to 3 each but seem OK now, still waiting to see if they will grow, they've been idle for some time, no more melting but not exactly growing either... Another one was the Joker zoas...same thing grew great for a while then down to one but just lost that last one that was holding on the other day. That's the one I wish I would've dipped. The others I thought about dipping of course but seem to be OK now and I have scores of other perfectly happy I'll call mid grade zoas (utter chaos, purple hornets, rastas, pink zippers and so on) the darth mauls are on a huge rock so a dip ain't happening. So I've read a ton and thanks to reef2reef I've found a list of the hardest to keep zoas and the ones giving me trouble are at the top of the list, in contrast the list of easy to keep zoas, the ones I've mentioned doing well are all on that list. Oh, I almost forgot but discussing the situation with my LFS, they recommended I try dosing amino acids. I bought "fuel" and dose a cap full a week in my 20 gallon, that may be the ticket, if so then that means the jokers had a pest and I should have dipped but with everything else doing so well, looking good and growing , no signs of pests I don't know what to think... The r2r lists don't explain really any reason why said specimens are hard or easy but the lists seem to be right on .. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
 
When I first got my darth mauls they were gorgeous and new polyps were poppin up all the time... it was going so good I split it in to two colonies and gave a buddy a few polyps ... I didn't frag them they grew onto another rock, I may have had to snip the mat I don't recall it's been awhile, but sometime later (month or two) yup u guessed it , started melting away ......In both tanks... After some time all were gone except one polyp that is holding on, stayed that way for many months but as of late I'm happy to report I can see the mat growing and should sprout 2 more heads any day now. I can only hope that colony explodes again like it did but hell I'll be happy if I get to keep the one big beautiful polyp . I also have 2 versions of lunar destroyers with basically the same story but from a dozen or so polyps on each colony down to 3 each but seem OK now, still waiting to see if they will grow, they've been idle for some time, no more melting but not exactly growing either... Another one was the Joker zoas...same thing grew great for a while then down to one but just lost that last one that was holding on the other day. That's the one I wish I would've dipped. The others I thought about dipping of course but seem to be OK now and I have scores of other perfectly happy I'll call mid grade zoas (utter chaos, purple hornets, rastas, pink zippers and so on) the darth mauls are on a huge rock so a dip ain't happening. So I've read a ton and thanks to reef2reef I've found a list of the hardest to keep zoas and the ones giving me trouble are at the top of the list, in contrast the list of easy to keep zoas, the ones I've mentioned doing well are all on that list. Oh, I almost forgot but discussing the situation with my LFS, they recommended I try dosing amino acids. I bought "fuel" and dose a cap full a week in my 20 gallon, that may be the ticket, if so then that means the jokers had a pest and I should have dipped but with everything else doing so well, looking good and growing , no signs of pests I don't know what to think... The r2r lists don't explain really any reason why said specimens are hard or easy but the lists seem to be right on .. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
 
I had a colony of rastas that melted on me. I left the plug in the tank and somehow a piece that looked like a small glob has begun to sprout a new polyp. I am watching it closely to see if it recovers.
 
I had 2 jf blood shots I grew a colony of about 80 .
All my friends wanted frags but I refuses to frag worrying they would melt.
From one week to the next they all melted.
:(
 
I had 2 jf blood shots I grew a colony of about 80 .
All my friends wanted frags but I refuses to frag worrying they would melt.
From one week to the next they all melted.
:(

That is HEARTBREAKING!!! :cry:
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top