When is a tank ready for anemones? Please chime in!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
49,253
Reaction score
98,071
Seller Rating
4 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People ask this all the time and I say we should put our heads together and come up with at least a basic list/run down of what it takes and signs that your tank is ready for an anemone.

So when is a tank ready for anemones? Please chime in!
 
Great question, I get asked this all the time.

My answer usually is:

If your water params are constant, and you can keep various LPS with signs of growth, then you should be able to tackle a BTA. The lighting for the majority of LPS and the water chemistry is similar to a BTA in my opinion.
 
I always tell customers to wait at least 6 months before adding an anemone but a full year is better. Must have some good lighting and water parameters must be well taken care of and constant. Live rock in the tank is a big plus too.
 
BUMP! Thanks for the input so far!
 
  1. Parameters are stable
  2. The hobbyist has a good feel for the tank. They can tell by looking at the tank that something is off and adjusts accordingly
  3. Nuisance algae is under control
  4. Coralline is visible (may not be taking off but visible)
 
I would tell a new hobbyist 6 months to year. This due to stability as mentioned above. A vet would probably know their system well enough to know when is appropriate.
 
agreed with everyone above. just to be safe, I would go 6-12 months before adding a nem just so the tank is stable enough. good lighting should also be considered with keeping a nem.
 
+1 on all of above. I also feel that lighting is def. a key to keeping a nem healthy and thriving!!!
 
If you can keep a stick you can keep a nem... Just my exp anyways lol... I really don't think there is anything special about keeping one... Most of you saw my tank 4 months of neglect, algae so thick you couldn't see in the tank etc etc... My nem was still flourishing through it all... No dosing, no water changes, no skimmer no nothing...;)
 
That's rare though (not trying to bash you-. I've had customers with good lighting, long term successful reef tanks with great water parameters not be able to have an anemone. It's just a risk no matter what but like stated, good water, lighting, and occasional target feeding and you should be able to care for one.
 
My very first tank was cycled with a candy nem and some flower nems and 1 damsel.
They all lived through it and never shrank or looked stressed, When i finally sold the candy it was almost a foot across!!!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top