When should I expect an algae bloom/ diatoms in my cycling process?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rmcuddy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Rmcuddy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2018
Messages
172
Reaction score
46
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have begun cycling my 125g tank with Dr. Timms ammonia and bio spira. My setup consists of Caribsea Life Rock and Caribsea fiji sand. I have followed the instructions on the Dr. Timms label, and this is where I'm at. I'm on day 18, have been adding ammonia every day and coming up with 0 ammonia and .25-.50 nitrite the next day. Nitrates are 100. This is the point of the cycle where I would expect to see algae or diatoms but have none so far. I have the water temp set at 72 and dont run the lights at all. The aquarium is also in a basement, where it never sees daylight either. Is it possible for it to be about cycled and not have any algae?
 
Algae needs light. Cyano and diatoms too.
 
You can expect algae, diatoms, uglies for about the first year lol.

But seriously, you can cycle without have much of an outbreak. My cycle was like this. I used live sand and a lot of live rock. I didn’t see much algae or uglies until about a month or two in. Went through a terrible outbreak. Some consistent water changes, checking your parameters regularly and understanding what is causing the uglies is key.

Tanks take a while to mature and stabilize. Even stirring your sandbed too much can cause algae or diatoms to suddenly pop up.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top