When starting a new build what is the must have?

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2013
Messages
1,459
Reaction score
255
Location
Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was seeing what people thought they have to have equipment wise when starting a new tank build. After tank sump pump stand. Now what???? And what order?
 
Controller and ATO and anything else that can be automated to save you work.
 
What kind of tank are you wanting? FOWLR or Reef tank or species tank? Don't forget heaters, lightung, Powerheads, Salt mix, buckets for changing water, and more.
 
A really nice tank .
A controller
a chiller
a heater
an ato
programmable powerhead.
 
Good, reliable test kits for Alk, Ca and Mag.
Refractometer.
Echotech MP40s for circulation.
( in addition to those items listed previously)
 
Its going to be a reef tank. Probably a reef savvy 65 gallon ghost overflow. All reef sps lps zoas everything to come after. Will have tank stand and sump already. Have an idea of pump and I like CAD skimmers, I have the lighting already. Have rodi unit for other tanks. Should I get ato first, apex ,doser, pumps inside tank,. Heater, chiller,. I am using live rock I have cycling in containers.
 
The order of things that you need to decide on.
Livestock (at least a concept)
Tank
Location
Skimmer
Sump
Overflow and plumbing
Circulation
Rock
Lighting
Reactor(s)
Heaters

Notes
RO/DI is not on the list because I consider it a given. Regardless of what you do somewhere you have to have an RO/DI system, even if you are buying your water from an LFS. If you do not have good source water do not even start with the tank.

The reason lighting is so low on my list is that until you have the others figured out lighting is a moot point. Your can run a FOWLR tank with minimal lighting, but you can not have a long term successfull tank with out the others IMO. Additionally from what I have seen lighting is the most frequently changed item on a system provided the items above it in the list are purchased well. People change form MH, to T5, to LED, and back w/o changing out the others all of the time.
 
Posting some pic's of your progressing build can aid everyone's understanding of what your trying to achieve; stand included. I'm in the same boat as you, just a little behind. Bought a used sweet 100g and a 40g from Petco ($40) for the sump. I'm getting the basics together and will tap into the community for best suggestions under a tight budget. This group gets a little wild with spending unless you real them in.. jk. Great community/great advise...
 
Start off with the basics and keep it simple. If ypu are like most, and money is a factor. Whatever you decide stick with it.
 
Top of list:
RO/DI so you alone have 100% control of what goes into your tank. After that a a good trusted salt mix everything else is secondary.
 
Its going to be a reef tank. Probably a reef savvy 65 gallon ghost overflow. All reef sps lps zoas everything to come after. Will have tank stand and sump already. Have an idea of pump and I like CAD skimmers, I have the lighting already. Have rodi unit for other tanks. Should I get ato first, apex ,doser, pumps inside tank,. Heater, chiller,. I am using live rock I have cycling in containers.
Judging by this information, you need testing equipment, a heater, and powerheads next. Then a chiller if needed, depending on your environment. You can dose and top off manually at first and a controller is great, but not needed to start a tank.

As I see it, the order of necessity is:

Tank stocking list (planning ahead helps and will determine what size and shape tank you need)
Tank (stand, sump, plumbing, return pump included)
Source for good quality water
Quality salt mix
Water testing equipment
Rock and substrate (or no substrate...)
Temperature control devices (heaters and chiller if necessary)
Lighting suitable for your livestock list
Power heads suitable for your livestock list

These things are the bare minimums to get an aquarium up and running. All the other additional pieces add convenience. Honestly, you don't even need a skimmer if you do proper water changes frequently enough, but I'd never run a tank without one.

Mac
 
Do your research before you buy equipment. You will save yourself a lot of headache and money.
 
A lot of good advice on here.

Skimmer - Get a skimmer that can handle double your water volume. It will save you money down the road when you want to increase your water volume or add a frag tank to your system. Paying more than I needed to 4 years ago saved me about $500 now since I don't need to upgrade my whole skimmer. (just a new pump and taller collection cup).

Lighting - Get more than you need. You might think now "I won't ever keep SPS, they aren't that great" then Boom! You now love SPS but your light sucks. (didn't happen to me, but it did to a friend who didn't take my advice.) LED is the future and I would have went LED if it wasn't rediulously priced when I built my tank.

Sump - Baffles are over rated and limit you when you want to change your stupid sump design. If you invest in a good skimmer like everyone advises, then you wont have a micro bubble issue. Of course, the bigger the better with the sump.

Heathers - Get 3x small heaters as opposed to one large heater. That way, if one takes a dump, it won't destroy your tank. I use the Ehiem Jiagers with no problems.

Note: If you can afford it. Get an apex. They rock.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top