I save where I can and spend money where it counts.
-My alkalinity supplement is arm&hammer baking soda, 50¢/lb
-I cut frozen flat packs of food into cubes instead of buying blister packs
-I use Instant Ocean salt
-I stopped following the latest fad from brs
-My dosing containers are 5g buckets
-I build my own stands, canopies and retrofit lighting
-I buy “commodity” level tanks- marineland, aquaeon etc but ALWAYS new. Who cares if it has plastic trim? I hide it with the stand and canopy.
-I use glass lids to trap heat and minimize household co2’s effect. Saves me ~$225 a year in electricity.
-I don’t buy coral. I’m happy with what I have and if I ever want more, fellow reefers will give me frags as I always give away coral
When it comes to equipment, i’ll never buy used electronics unless I know the seller & know they care for their gear. I buy the right thing from the start. Piecing out automation ends up being way more expensive than an apex.
I also consider the sustainability of an item and long term costs. The tronc initially costs more than the trident but Diy reagent is only $40 a year. Assuming 6 tests a day for 5 years and excluding maintenance costs; the trident is $2100. The alkatronic is $1100.
I’m pretty happy with my reef, 10 months old
