Where do you draw the line between a frag and colony?

Anything that fits on a frag plug is a frag. If it fits on a 3” disk or smaller then it’s a mini colony, bigger than that and I’d say it’s a small colony
 
Good thread.

I like the visual of baseball size=colony.

also like mentioned earlier that a colony can be fragged a few times and still be a colony. I’d add that booger size frags makes this definition questionable.

I can see how something occupies so much of a frag plug or disk, but that’s tricky. Here’s a caulestrea colony on a one inch plug. It finally tipped over a couple days ago. It could probably be fragged into 3 colonies. Grown from a single polyp a few years back.

I think that the definition changes when it comes to sps, lps, and soft corals. Much to ponder.

image.jpg image.jpg
 
3/4" to 1" purchase size to 3" to 4" purchase size almost all frags purchased now days is aboug 3/4" go 1" in size this is a frag up to 2" or 3" any thing bigger colonies. Just my wild speculation.
 
IMO, I think frag becomes a colony when you can frag it and its still a colony. Like this purple digi of mine. One year from frag to respectable colony.
I have taken several frags and you would never know by looking at it.
20190907_183842.jpg
20201111_195512.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top