Where to buy real live ocean rock?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Genvid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Genvid

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2021
Messages
238
Reaction score
186
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tell me which company is best to buy real ocean stone and living sand from the ocean. My tank is two years old, I decided to change the sand, add about twenty pounds. And also change twenty pounds of living stone, maybe two or three. Anyone with experience, please advise. I have a RedSea Reefer 350.75 gallons. Will the living stone need to be treated for some time, or can it be immediately placed in the tank?
 
i actually just bought some ocean liverock for my reefer 350! got it from https://gulfliverock.com/ and i highly recommend it, rocks smelled fresh upon arrival with no noticeable die-off, i put them in the tank right away and in less than a month it was ready for fish, you could also put it into an established tank with no issues.
 
i actually just bought some ocean liverock for my reefer 350! got it from https://gulfliverock.com/ and i highly recommend it, rocks smelled fresh upon arrival with no noticeable die-off, i put them in the tank right away and in less than a month it was ready for fish, you could also put it into an established tank with no issues.
I already have fish and corals, I need to add them right away, or wait a month.
 
I already have fish and corals, I need to add them right away, or wait a month.
if you get overnight shipping there shouldnt be any problems with putting them straight into your tank as there will be no ammonia as a result of die-off during long shipping.
 
Please tell me which company is best to buy real ocean stone and living sand from the ocean. My tank is two years old, I decided to change the sand, add about twenty pounds. And also change twenty pounds of living stone, maybe two or three. Anyone with experience, please advise. I have a RedSea Reefer 350.75 gallons. Will the living stone need to be treated for some time, or can it be immediately placed in the tank?
https://www.tankstop.com/live-rock/live-rock/australian-decorative-live-rock-australian-live-rock/
got my aussie rock from tankstop
beautiful rock and you can pick the pieces you want to an extent & the owner will show you
tons of life, colorful and quick shipping
 
if you get overnight shipping there shouldnt be any problems with putting them straight into your tank as there will be no ammonia as a result of die-off during long shipping.
Everyone's mileage will vary. I recently picked my rocks up from the SouthWest same day flight, within 12 hours my house smelled like death... I would be careful stating that there will be no ammonia spikes. I was forced into a 30 day dark cure with 75% daily water changes for over a week. Oh, and this was a tank I thought would be cool in the bedroom... Ask my wife what she thought of the situation... @Susannah.odle
 
I already have fish and corals, I need to add them right away, or wait a month.
Tampa bay saltwater ships in water ready to go as soon as you get it. Mine flew Florida to Seattle over night. Water shipping is key
 
Tampa bay saltwater ships in water ready to go as soon as you get it. Mine flew Florida to Seattle over night. Water shipping is key
So does KP but this is the second person recently that's had a big problem with their rock... I'm wondering if paying extra for the water is worth it
 
So does KP but this is the second person recently that's had a big problem with their rock... I'm wondering if paying extra for the water is worth it
I got 4o pounds of product, freight was 70 pounds total with water. 117.00 shipping. Smelled like I was standing on the beach.
 
I’ve used Tampa Bay , KP, and Gulf Live Rock. I’m a bit biased, but I like hitchhikers and so far the Gulf Live has had the most critters. But I would use any of them again.
 
While I have never bought from KP, both TBS & GLR offer great product and are examples of enviromental stewards.

With respect to shipping with water, I prefer not. I prefer shipped damp and covered with paper towel. If something dies, its decomposition is localized and doesn’t contaminate the complete shipment. Because I ordered in bulk, I paid $80 for first 100 lbs and $45 a 100 lbs after first hundred pounds.

Bad news for collectors in Florida Keys:

Yesterday, I spoke for an hour with Russ Kronwetter, diver/owner of GulfCoast EcoSystems in Tampa Bay. He just returned from diving the Atlantic side of the Florida Keys. Water temperature was 103 degrees at the bottom. The stench in open air sent some to the hospital. Russ dove his shallow reef near Tarpon Springs with much die off, but recoverable. His GOM deep water lease at 75’ showed no heat stress.
 
Everyone's mileage will vary. I recently picked my rocks up from the SouthWest same day flight, within 12 hours my house smelled like death... I would be careful stating that there will be no ammonia spikes. I was forced into a 30 day dark cure with 75% daily water changes for over a week. Oh, and this was a tank I thought would be cool in the bedroom... Ask my wife what she thought of the situation... @Susannah.odle
Wow, i had a very different experience, the rocks i got smelled fresh like the ocean and all the creatures on there survived even in my week old tank.
 
I’ve used Tampa Bay , KP, and Gulf Live Rock. I’m a bit biased, but I like hitchhikers and so far the Gulf Live has had the most critters. But I would use any of them again.
This coral came on a piece of Gulf Live rock.its moved tanks but still got it.
IMG_7363.jpeg
 
So the TBS site says do not use premium rock for cycling new tanks. Use base rock. any clue what the difference would be? Also, I have seen temp ratings for 74-84. Would any of this be safe for a cold water tank? Like 68-72?

Assuming premium would just be a possible ammonia spike with die off?
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top