Which chamber on an AIO tank should my skimmer go?

  • Thread starter Thread starter glb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2013
Messages
8,141
Reaction score
3,367
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12g nanocube and just got a coralife nano skimmer for it. I have three chambers in the sump. The overflow is in the left and the return is on the right. Right now, from left to right, I have left-sponges, center-phosban reactor, right-skimmer. Should the skimmer go in the first chamber? If so, do I remove the sponges?
 
Bump
 
Though I don't have an AIO I've always seen them, if your facing the tank, the first left chamber. The one where the overflow is at. But if your getting good skimmate I'd leave it where it's at.
 
Though I don't have an AIO I've always seen them, if your facing the tank, the first left chamber. The one where the overflow is at. But if your getting good skimmate I'd leave it where it's at.

I moved it to the first chamber because I realized the sponges were getting the water before the skimmer did, which sort of defeated the purpose of skimming detritus. I still have one sponge beneath it and one on the side holding it in place. It should skim more of the gunk now before the water gets to the sponges. Thanks!
 
Whichever chamber where the water level stays consistent, unless you have an ato. Don't know about the smaller cube but on my 29 the right chamber is best. However, I run my tunze in the middle chamber because I also use a ATO.
 
Whichever chamber where the water level stays consistent, unless you have an ato. Don't know about the smaller cube but on my 29 the right chamber is best. However, I run my tunze in the middle chamber because I also use a ATO.

I had it on the right chamber but moved it over to the left. I don't have an ATO system but topoff several times/day. I can adjust the skimmer container up or down after topoff if needed. I moved it because the sponges were catching the detritus first. The skimmer got some too, but I thought this would be more efficient. I'll see what happens.
 
I find even in a stable water level with nano-skimmers you must make adjustments periodically anyways.
 
I find even in a stable water level with nano-skimmers you must make adjustments periodically anyways.

Yep. What I did was cut a sponge from that chamber in half and wedged it next to the body of the skimmer. It holds tight but it's easy to slide the skimmer up and down if I need to. I can adjust with the air line too but this is quicker.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top