Which powerheads are the best in 2018

For size, money and the amount of water they move, I would do two Tunze 6040's. I had two in my 22g sps dominant tank and I never had them at 100%. I think these are very underrated pumps. Lots of flow options, easy to clean, etc.... If you have an apex, you can program them to no end.
 
BTW, the Tunze stream 3 would stick out of a 40b and put most of the water on the floor. :) Just kidding, those things are huge. I tried one in my 90g shallow and it wouldn't fit anywhere without sucking up sand. They're really designed for much larger tanks, at least 20" tall.
 
Single point of failure for something as important as flow? No thanks. As for power heads, I agree with many about the MP-10, quite unless it’s ramped to 100% in a quite room. How about the new Nero pumps from AI, or the Neptune wave makers if you have an apex.
Several years ago I had a bunch of MP10s - not silent at all.

I currently run gyres on three different tanks, very quiet. I keep them below 80% and use two on each tank. The water flow makes more noise than the pumps by far.
 
Mp 40 or 10 are silent and easiest to clean out of any pump. I seriously take mine out every 2 weeks just to scrub down with a brush. I never get buildup this way, and it takes 5 min.

Gyre is nice spread flow. Does get reduced performance if left for months without cleaning, and is kinda a pain to clean.

I run mp40 solely now, even on back of tank instead of mp10, just turn them way down. the maintenance factor makes it worth it to me.

the price between the 2 isn’t that much, and if you even want a position for more flow you have it already
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top