Which skimmer you would use if space is not an issue

Special_K

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
77
Reaction score
38
Location
06084
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I would like to pick your brains on which skimmer to use if there is no limit of space?

Total volume 200 gallons, medium bio load. Budget is set at $1K.

Thank you!
 
For that volume I'd save another 200$ and buy a Double Cone 200 RD3.

But I'm a sucker for Bubble King.
 
Recirculating/external. External skimmers can be placed in a sump. They have the most contact time and control than the other versions of the same model skimmer.
 
Recirculating/external. External skimmers can be placed in a sump. They have the most contact time and control than the other versions of the same model skimmer.

I haven't used any external skimmers. Why are they better? Will leaking be a problem? There are not many to choose from.
 
Last edited:
For that volume I'd save another 200$ and buy a Double Cone 200 RD3.

But I'm a sucker for Bubble King.

Bubble King is always a good choice. but the price can be a little too high for me.
 
I haven't used any external skimmers. Why are they better? Will leaking be a problem? There are not many to choose from.

There is no more risk of leaks than an other skimmer especially if you keep it in sump, then there is zero chance of leaks out side onto the floor.

BRS has a great video and in it the explain why they are better. It comes down to the volume in the skimmer body for water/air mixing, contact time of the water with bubbles, and control. Since the skimmer is fed with a separate pump or off a manifold controlling the water level is much easier and it will remain stable no matter the water level in the section of your sump. You will have finer adjustment of the water going into the skimmer. Also since the skimmer recirculates the water it has more contact time with the bubbles. Usually most all external/recirculating skimmers have more volume inside the body of the skimmer for mixing the water and bubbles. That's the main points.

Check out the video:
 
I love my Deltec skimmer
 
There is no more risk of leaks than an other skimmer especially if you keep it in sump, then there is zero chance of leaks out side onto the floor.

BRS has a great video and in it the explain why they are better. It comes down to the volume in the skimmer body for water/air mixing, contact time of the water with bubbles, and control. Since the skimmer is fed with a separate pump or off a manifold controlling the water level is much easier and it will remain stable no matter the water level in the section of your sump. You will have finer adjustment of the water going into the skimmer. Also since the skimmer recirculates the water it has more contact time with the bubbles. Usually most all external/recirculating skimmers have more volume inside the body of the skimmer for mixing the water and bubbles. That's the main points.

Check out the video:

Thank you. I think I'll also go with external / recirculating skimmers. Which brand do you recommend? The selection is limited on BRS.
 
I love the Quantum series. I’m a huge fan of ecotech products. With lighting I prefer Kessil, but my return pump, Skimmer, and movement pumps I love ecotech. Their largest models are beautiful.
 
Bubble King! My skimmer pulls some of the nastiest and chunkiest crap out of the water.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top