Which sump chamber is the best to dose?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Gino

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2016
Messages
390
Reaction score
346
Location
Tampa, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been wondering, now I will be using a DOS to dose ATI Essential Pro into the sump. But I read that the best area is were you get the best water movement to maximize the mixing process with your tank water. I know that the majority of the people dose in the return chamber, just because It will be going straight to the display.
But based on what I read, Did the first chamber right were return of the overflow enter the sump is the most turbulent part of all the sump.
× My questions are...
1- Should I dose there? (after this small section it discharges on the filter socks)
2- Did the refugium and the protein skimmer will affect the amount dose by removing the elements minimizing the concentration?

I will appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Gino
 
The reason most folks dose into the return chamber is that not only is there good flow, but hopefully "post" any type of filtration. Some types of filter media have a tendency to immediately filter out what you may be dosing prior to it getting mixed well in your DT and benefiting the inhabitants.
 
The baffle going into the return pump chamber. Where the water comes over the baffle, then waterfalls into the return pump section is where they mix well. The area before your filter socks is commonly referred as the drain. Return to the display, drain to the sump.
 
Thanks everyone for the insight. I managed to get the tubings into the return baffle and I could dose even to the baffle itself or turn it around and into the pump. And if I can grab a Trident that will be a good area also to get the sample water to be analyzed. No bubbles, constant water level, plenty of flow. I think is a win-win. Have a great weekend guy's.
 
I dose into the "filter socks" My fish like their vodka strained

James Bond wrong all these years? No shaken or stirred. strained thru a sock.

Wonder how would you order that at dinnero_O
 
Thanks everyone for the insight. I managed to get the tubings into the return baffle and I could dose even to the baffle itself or turn it around and into the pump. And if I can grab a Trident that will be a good area also to get the sample water to be analyzed. No bubbles, constant water level, plenty of flow. I think is a win-win. Have a great weekend guy's.

Problem solved! I would just like to add that having a powerhead running in the return chamber helps keep a sump "clean" of deteris and allows better water movement if dosing into this chamber.
 
Problem solved! I would just like to add that having a powerhead running in the return chamber helps keep a sump "clean" of deteris and allows better water movement if dosing into this chamber.
That's a good idea... but, did you think that strong flow might can affect the probe's reading? Or alter the ATO sensor and make it go on and off? Purring RODI water almost constantly.
 
That's a good idea... but, did you think that strong flow might can affect the probe's reading? Or alter the ATO sensor and make it go on and off? Purring RODI water almost constantly.

Great question. I have a large system with a large sump. My return chamber is 54" x 34" x 8" water depth. I use a Maxijet 1200 (295 gph flow rate) and do not have an issue with probes or ATO float switch. You would certainly want to use the proper size powerhead to achieve water movement without undo turbulance that might adversely affect instrumentation.
 
Great question. I have a large system with a large sump. My return chamber is 54" x 34" x 8" water depth. I use a Maxijet 1200 (295 gph flow rate) and do not have an issue with probes or ATO float switch. You would certainly want to use the proper size powerhead to achieve water movement without undo turbulance that might adversely affect instrumentation.
That's something I have to search and think about it. My return chamber isn't as big. It's about 10"x10"x8" deep. And definitely got to be a little pump, I mean around 50 or 100 mph maybe a little bit more but not that much.
20190629_130454.jpg
 
And definitely will help me out with the debris as you can see in the picture. Something that I got to put my hand ones every other week to steer up all that junk.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top