Which t5HO retrofit for 72x24x24

leroy_jenkinz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2018
Messages
452
Reaction score
195
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 180g mixed reef with two Kessil ap700 on it currently. I know there will be a new T5ho retro coming out soon ( projected April) that is dimmable but is dimmable worth the extra price/ wait? Also would I be ok with the 61” or go with 2x 36” ones. I do have cross braces and I’m trying to avoid my pucks being directly above them.
 
I have dimmable t5 Retro kit (LET Lights from Bulk Reef) and they work really well. I'm not sure they are really necessary but I know the fish don't startle in the morning when they ramp up and they do settle in to their caves at night when they ramp down. If it were me, I would do the two 36" units because I hate the shadow cast by the braces, but that's just my opinion.
 
So I have a 180g mixed reef with two Kessil ap700 on it currently. I know there will be a new T5ho retro coming out soon ( projected April) that is dimmable but is dimmable worth the extra price/ wait? Also would I be ok with the 61” or go with 2x 36” ones. I do have cross braces and I’m trying to avoid my pucks being directly above them.
I have a 6 ft long, 180 gallon tank. I have the 61” aquaticlife t5 hybrid with 6 kessil a360s over it. I personally don’t think dimmable is worth any extra $$ and believe that 1x61” is better than 2x36” models. My coverage with 5 ft bulbs is just fine and more bulbs equals higher replacement costs. mine is in a hood.
 
Similar set up on my 180, I have 3 of the 2x80Watt retros from bulk reef supply. They’re like 160ish a piece I believe. Currently in a canopy with three kessil 360’s but are being swapped next week for g4 pro’s. So far the 60 inch t5’s have been great and I don’t see and reason to get the adjustable version, mine are on from 2-8pm every day. The led’s control the ramp.

Had some absurd par before the back glass got covered in coralline.

8DED79E2-425A-45C5-9994-F84C6FB2ADF1.jpeg
 
I don’t find dimmable that helpful. I also have 2 ap700 with 4 t5. Your dusk to dawn will be from the ap700, so you don’t really need the ability to dim the t5. I think that’s more helpful for full t5 setups.

One consideration is bulb price is minimally affected by length, so if you go with 36” you will be paying a lot more for your bulb replacements.
 
I just purchased and installed a 5' Hamilton MH/T5 with 3 250W mh and 4x80W T5s. I added a 5" ReefBright LED Actinic strip, the higher wattage one. I think it looks stunning. I started with 14000K hamilton bulbs, then tried the 17500K Giesmanns, and yesterday the 20000K Hamiltons. Simply stunning.
 
Dimming is for you, not the tank inhabitants. For decades, some of the best tanks in the world, just did fluorescents or MH just on/off with a light timer. If you want it, then get it.. but don't worry about the fish and corals.
 
Thanks for all the informational replies everyone, looks like I’m going to be buying the 61” then now I just need to figure out how I’ll be mounting it. I saw a similar mounting system to the mounting arms for the Kessils but each mounting arm is 70$, i have a slanted ceiling and idk how difficult it will be to hang it evenly. I have a feeling I’ll have to be doing a DIY arms off the wall type mount to hang it from with Wires
 
I also have slanted ceilings and did not want to hang. Just an idea. Need to find have a well placed stud or a sheer wall (like I have) to have it midline.


278cd96c98ee34c66af7cfdef7cfe8ad.jpg


0fd10b95fe5f03aebe49bced7bbfecc4.jpg


ce6d9895c492cf6313f147c97bb84be2.jpg
 
I also have slanted ceilings and did not want to hang. Just an idea. Need to find have a well placed stud or a sheer wall (like I have) to have it midline.

That looks nice, your steel bar/brace or whatever is that on the top side drilled down into the top of your canopy? Is that how it’s supported?
 
I cut a slit in the back of the canopy and slid the countertop bracket into it. So the weight of the canopy is resting on the top of the bracket.

f741c9b6262132aa447949dbc3564833.jpg


There is a support in the middle of the canopy too.

cbb2884cbe1a9c2dcbacdef30c9e7f96.jpg


The top is non weight bearing and you could cut all the holes you want in it for fans/ventilation etc.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top