- Joined
- May 27, 2018
- Messages
- 1,010
- Reaction score
- 897
- What state or country do you live in
- New Jersey
Hi everyone,
I started out with the API saltwater and reef test kits to get the full range of things. Now I'm looking to find our what's actually important to have a really 'good' test kit for. I'd really rather not spend the money on expensive testers like Hanna, but I figure that's a sort of thing that works for a while while other test kits that may be 50-75% of the cost of a Hanna only have so many tests in them so maybe the cost evens out over time. I'm just worried because the more I read the more I only see people saying terrible things about the API kits and I want to get ahead of things.
Are there any tests that you'd say I could keep with my API? I also figure that since I'm not going to be trying to run a super exact SPS tank that maybe I'll be able to get away with the API for some.
My nitrates are at 0, no fish in the tank yet though I do overfeed my inverts. And my phosphate is at 5 ppm according to API, I think I need to switch foods. I'm planning to get a reducer for the phosphate and maybe some different macro for that as well and I hope that when I add my fish that my nitrates will come up a bit.
I started out with the API saltwater and reef test kits to get the full range of things. Now I'm looking to find our what's actually important to have a really 'good' test kit for. I'd really rather not spend the money on expensive testers like Hanna, but I figure that's a sort of thing that works for a while while other test kits that may be 50-75% of the cost of a Hanna only have so many tests in them so maybe the cost evens out over time. I'm just worried because the more I read the more I only see people saying terrible things about the API kits and I want to get ahead of things.
Are there any tests that you'd say I could keep with my API? I also figure that since I'm not going to be trying to run a super exact SPS tank that maybe I'll be able to get away with the API for some.
My nitrates are at 0, no fish in the tank yet though I do overfeed my inverts. And my phosphate is at 5 ppm according to API, I think I need to switch foods. I'm planning to get a reducer for the phosphate and maybe some different macro for that as well and I hope that when I add my fish that my nitrates will come up a bit.


