Which type of wrasse should I get

Mattyice008

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
646
Reaction score
93
Location
Gainesville, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking for a wrasse that will take care of flatworms, and other pests. It will go in a 75g reef tank w. 20 gal sump. Already has a clown, spotted mandarin, royal gamma, diamond watchmen goby and a small yellow tang. I want the most reef-safe one. I'm leaning towards a 6-line or melanurus wrasse.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Melarunus worked well for me. Hid in the sand for 9 days then ate all the red planaria in a week, never seen one again.
 
There is no top on the tank

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Don't get a wrasse until you have a top. They can and will find a gap and jump out. Also with the manderin I'd get a smaller wrasse. They both love copepods. I recommend a Lubbocks. Great fish, small and colorful.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I would not suggest a wrasse in a tank with a mandarin, ESP where the sand is being brutally cleaned by the diamond goby.

FWIW Sixlines can be voracious and mean and while I've never seen a Melanurus be mean, they are the most voracious eaters I've seen and get easily twice the size of a six line. Pigs. :)

Something chill like a fairy wrasse would be a much better fit - Carpenter's or McCosker's for example. These won't be competing with your Mandarin nearly as hard either.

-Matt


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
You have to have a top with a wrasse it is not, if he will jump , he will jump out.
Also in a 75 you will need to get rid of the mandrin he will out compete it for food.
Also wrasses are hit or miss on eating flatworms.

The clear netting tops that brs sells are excellent or you can buy the clear netting other places and get the alluminum window frame and cut it to size from Home Depot or Menards etc. and make on yourself, that is what I did.
 
Last edited:
Don't get a wrasse until you have a top. They can and will find a gap and jump out.
+100

If the head fits, the fish WILL fit, and it's simply a matter of time before it happens.

I would not suggest a wrasse in a tank with a mandarin, ESP where the sand is being brutally cleaned by the diamond goby.
Agree.

FWIW Sixlines can be voracious and mean and while I've never seen a Melanurus be mean, they are the most voracious eaters I've seen and get easily twice the size of a six line. Pigs. :)
Absolutely agree. Don't even consider a Pseudocheilinus wrasse.

Something chill like a fairy wrasse would be a much better fit - Carpenter's or McCosker's for example. These won't be competing with your Mandarin nearly as hard either.
A much better choice for compatibility yes, but neither Paracheilinus or Cirrhilabrus will pick from the substrate (read: won't do a thing for flatworms).
 
I've had my checkered wrasse for a couple years without a top on my tank, it can be done!
 
I've had my checkered wrasse for a couple years without a top on my tank, it can be done!
Sure, albeit on borrowed time. It's a matter of when, not if.
 
Leopard Wrasse mine has a nice personal attitude. He comes to my fingers to see and let's me slowly touch her.
 
I've had great success with my Melanurus wrasse. The fish was king of the tank though for a while. Kind of a bully towards my snowflake clowns until they all got to know each other. That wrasse is a workhorse when it came to flatworms and other nasties. As he grew he got possessive of a certain area of the tank. He would beat up on tangs and cardinals. I recently added a larger ruby headed fairy. I was worried that they would kill each other but the fairy took over dominance in the tank. Now the melanurus is very social and well behaved.

Sorry long story that is just trying to say that I like my melanurus way more than the six line I had before.
Have not had trouble with jumping yet but I'm prepared.
 
A much better choice for compatibility yes, but neither Paracheilinus or Cirrhilabrus will pick from the substrate (read: won't do a thing for flatworms).

I did kinda forget that was a stated reason. I don't think that's a great reason to add a wrasse in the first place. Here's my thinking:

If you have flatworms already, there's no way a fish will eradicate them. He might dent the population, at most. There are almost always safe treatments like Flatworm Exit that are 100% more effective. (Apply with care and follow the directions, obviously...people who have trouble goofed in the process somewhere.)

If you don't have flatworms already, then it's a misplaced worry IMO. Likelihood of a flatworm outbreak in a well run tank is very low....many people never ever have a single outbreak - I dare say 99% of people never have one.

Now having said that, there are risk factors that can make some precautions worth taking. To generalize, tanks that are never allowed to stabilize are the ones more at risk. If you are, or will be, someone who is always adding and removing things (livestock, rock, etc...for any reason.) from the tank then you may have reason to worry a little. The long term residents are always going to be at least slightly stressed (therefore susceptible) and there is probably a repeating chance of newly introducing a parasitic organism that wouldn't exist in a stable tank.

By contrast, in a stable heathy environment, almost all our critters - fish, coral, etc - can naturally fight off parasites like these with no effort at all. If you had flatworms in this scenario, you might never even know it.

The only reason I would get a wrasse was because I thought it was awesome and I wanted to take care of it. (And don't hope they won't jump...they will.) :) :)

-Matt

Edit: Forgot there's also all the tanks that just stink with wrasses (have many) but have flatworm outbreaks anyway. It really is about a stable, healthy tank.
 
Last edited:
I've had great success with my Melanurus wrasse. The fish was king of the tank though for a while. Kind of a bully towards my snowflake clowns until they all got to know each other. That wrasse is a workhorse when it came to flatworms and other nasties. As he grew he got possessive of a certain area of the tank. He would beat up on tangs and cardinals. I recently added a larger ruby headed fairy. I was worried that they would kill each other but the fairy took over dominance in the tank. Now the melanurus is very social and well behaved.

Sorry long story that is just trying to say that I like my melanurus way more than the six line I had before.
Have not had trouble with jumping yet but I'm prepared.
+1 on that. Mystery wrasses also have incredible personality imo. They are like little dogs. Even in my lfs when you walk past the tank they will swim right up to you amd just stare at you
 
Mystery wrasses also have incredible personality imo. They are like little dogs. Even in my lfs when you walk past the tank they will swim right up to you amd just stare at you

+1

Good call!

FWIW, they seem pretty neutral in attitude too...I've neither seen one be a tank bully or be bullied.

-Matt
 
I say there is no real way to ever know what type will work for you it is not just a species thing because each individual is going to be different. Only get a fish that you really want not just for what it eats. You don't see people running to a farm to buy a goat because there grass in the back yard is to long and fish should be no different. Same goes for the top on the tank if you would not let your new dog out with a fenced in yard why would you get a fish known to jump with out a top on the tank. Just my 2 cents.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top