White hairy algae? Looks like a water mold

cblizza2079

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2021
Messages
19
Reaction score
12
Location
easton, MD
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’ve had this whitish hair algae in my tank for Several months now and am curious what it is and how to get rid of it. Struggled to get a good picture of it till now where it’s growing on my halimeda.

Started running a UV sterilizer literally yesterday so hopefully combined with manual removal I can get rid of it.

0E010107-D995-4BF0-AF00-E774AAB25DB8.jpeg
 
What are your water parameters like? I run an oversized UV and Vibrant once a week.
Calcium 380, been supplementing Seachem part I to boost

nitrates 0-5ppm

phosphate 0.25

Alkalinity 12dkh (as of last test, did water change today switching from tap to distilled for the first time)

pH 8.3

I keep temp at 82- last time I asked this a few months ago it was suggested to raise temp as some thought it could be dinos

Note I am using an API test kit.
 
Considering it is likely bacterial, would usage of erythromycin possibly help? I do not have access to fluconazole to treat hair algae (also a problem) without a prescription unfortunately.
 
Maybe a pinkish color? Red cotton algae? Its definitely an algae or dead algae. Hard to tell.
 
Maybe a pinkish color? Red cotton algae? Its definitely an algae or dead algae. Hard to tell.
Whatever it is, it’s not dead and is most concentrated in regions exposed to light. Virtually nonexistent on the undersides of rocks.
Any new additions to the tank tend to get covered in it within a matter of days. Whatever it is, it is extremely fast growing, and manual removal is next to impossible. Since the addition of a UV sterilizer, new growth that the halimeda has put out is not covered in it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top