White Mossy Webbish Fungus/Sponge? What is it!

thegrimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
39
Reaction score
24
Location
Atlanta
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

So I’ve noticed this strange white area on my live rock start to...grow? It’s quite odd. At first I thought it could have just been live rock die off, but having this tank up and running for over a year now, I can’t seem to figure it out, and it’s beginning to make me wonder what exactly this could be. Seems to be growing within the rock.
EC98708D-3C5D-4B8E-9824-6C178B0C9598.jpeg
F0468FE1-6B1A-4FDB-945C-D0A056F25DC4.jpeg
36EDC74B-E309-44C3-B54F-217EF8BBA9B5.jpeg
All parameters are within range, and I’ve had great success with my corals and fish. Just curious as to what this is and how to remove it if I need to. Every time I scrape or clean this area of the rock, it seems to grow back. Help!!
 
Poriferan Sponge and reefsafe. You can smother with coral putty or cut away if it gets out of control
 
Does these sponges absorb nitrates/phos? No matter what I do I can’t seem to raise them from 0. No algae problems currently in the tank. This has puzzled me for quite sometime.
 
Does these sponges absorb nitrates/phos? No matter what I do I can’t seem to raise them from 0. No algae problems currently in the tank. This has puzzled me for quite sometime.
I would suspect only minor traces. Sponges are known to consume Silica.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top