White residue on aquarium glass

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2013
Messages
1,033
Reaction score
23
Location
Lyles Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm noticing white residue on my reef tanks glass. It started out where I had to use my magnetic scraper once a week or two. Now I'm having to do it almost every day

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Is it tiny and swirly at all? If so, it could be spirorbid worms. I believe it's common in younger tanks. I have them currently.
 
Do you have cerith snails on your tanks? Could be the eggs they leave a trail on the glass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
 
From what I have read that it's alage there are 2 different kinds that grow on your glass , green/ white and the white is good it means that there are good nutriants in your tank . I just started dosing vinegar and the is one of the side affects of good algae growing .
 
From what I have read that it's alage there are 2 different kinds that grow on your glass , green/ white and the white is good it means that there are good nutriants in your tank . I just started dosing vinegar and the is one of the side affects of good algae growing .

If you are carbon dosing it is most likely bacteria.
 
Is there anything bad about the bacteria? What can you do to fix It?
 
Last edited:
Is there anything bad about the bacteria? What can you do to fix It?

The major concern with bacteria when dosing is causing a bacteria bloom (if your water gets cloudy after dosing it is most likely a bacteria bloom). You want bacteria to eat your phosphates and nitrates, but if you get a bloom it can kill your tank due to using up all the oxygen in the water. Always go slow when starting a carbon dosing regimen and slowly add more as needed.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top