A surefire way to beat GHA everytime
Just trying to be funny.....
I have a 180g and I've tried:
* 3-5 day blackouts (no results, well it does save electric and that's about it)
*25% weekly WCs (at 280g total water volume, really not looking to spend $1000 in salt a year)
* wet skimmer (intermediate success) I'm sure if it wasn't for my skimmer my tank would be lime green. Lol. I just wished I would have bought a skimmer for 500gals...twice my water volume to skim the crap out of my water column, literally. I think there is real POWER in having a skimmer rated TWICE your actual water volume
* adding filter socks (mild/intermediate success) teamed up with wet skimming it does slow down new GHA from forming. BRStv Investigates did a series on filter socks and socks changed out every 3 days reduced NO3/PO4 by 40%
* manual removal and scrub (only returns if other methodology are not applied)
* feeding fish less (mild success) theres only two sources being INPUTTED into your tank: SW and food.... if your RODI is not detecting PO4 then the only other logical SOURCE is coming from your food
* chaeto (mild success) but it tends to die off if my other methodology takes off successfully for a few weeks. Very hit n miss... also a PITA bc you have to flip the stuff, swish the stuff as debris builds up on it if its laying stagnant, acting like a filter catching brown debris
* algae scrubber (never used one) interested in looking more into DIY youtube videos. But hard to imagine that 95% of the algae would only grow on the scrubber and not on the LR. I dont think GHA would discriminate choosing to only grow on a scrubber...but I could be wrong
* adding FOUR urchins (mild success)....they tend to find to easiest algae to eat which is flat areas like glass. They prefer thin algae film. If algae is thick turf like, they ignore it and go for the thin algae in easy places while cracks in LR grow thick turf
* dosing an entire bottle of Dr Tim's WasteAway at the first of every month (mild success) using the product alone wont di much. It only introduces good bacteria that needs to be fed with vodka/vinegar to keep it going
* dosing NoPox or Vibrant. I can DIY that stuff myself. NoPox is 1part vinegar to 1/2part vodka to 1part RODI. Sorry RedSea your recipe is out on the streets. Vibrant is the same as NoPox just with live bacteria added to the recipe.
* dosing vodka/vinegar 1part:1part (intermediate success if done as a daily regiment). But vodkas expensive at $14 a bottle and last 3 weeks...thats $200 a year in vodka. Vodka Vinegar doesn't eliminate GHA...It WILL NOT remove existing algae. Existing stuff has to be scrubbed or manually removed. It WILL slow down NEW growth)
* I'm debating on getting a SeaHare. Wondering how well it will do in eating GHA in small cracks that urchins ignore. I'm also concerned if the SeaHare dies, read that they release a poison when they die that will wipes out your livestock
I'll follow up on a separated post if all my methods PLUS adding a SeaHare is of any value
.