Who uses the Red Sea reefer black sponge?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 4, 2018
Messages
2,634
Reaction score
5,369
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about taking this out. What has everyone done? Right now I use it cut in half and the end without sponge I have a bag of Purigen. Seems like it’s unneeded if you don’t have micro bubbles from a skimmer and don’t have a fuge. Thinking of Trying to get a bag of carbon down in it.
Ideas?
 
I still have it after 20 months of running the reefer. I never had any trouble with it and its filled with sponges, tunicates and whatnot. i also never had to clean it because I use filter floss
 
I still have it after 20 months of running the reefer. I never had any trouble with it and its filled with sponges, tunicates and whatnot. i also never had to clean it because I use filter floss
Same here, had mine in my RSR 250 for 2 1/2 years now. I originally cleaned it every 4-6 weeks but stopped that a year ago as it was clear it didn’t really need it. I haven’t touched it since then. My new RSR 525 has been running for 7 weeks now and it has the stock sponge also, don’t plan on touching it unless I need To.
 
The sponge is very coarse.
 
If I don’t run it I will end up with too many micro bubbles, I have enough already.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top