Who's afraid of anemones?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ardeus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I keep all my tube nems in either PVC pipes or bottle (just make sure there is an opening at the end so they can grow) since I have a bare bottom. This way I can move them as needed as they grow. Their sting has killed a frogspawn, almost killed a BTA, and wiped out a large Hollywood stunner chalice...
C7201420-DB75-4ADA-9D13-FBE0BD9C26DF.jpeg

Your tank looks very unique with those tube nems, I don’t see many around. How do they go with fish?
 
This is such a great thread , long ago I started a nem tank , so I didnt have to deal with the warfare lolz. Im loving all the husbandry experiences though , this is gold for the community . I have personally decided that almost all coral has a personality despite its prescribed behavior from books. I have had "non agressive" mushrooms reach out and nuke other "aggresive" corals nems that sting others that dont, and those xenia lolz they are 1000% impervious to everything the true no f$%^s given coral for sure. I had one colony that was just thriving growing around a massive acan echinata warpaint colony aptly dubbed " Bruce Lee" and it didnt even get phazed for over a year. I thought it would take care of the colony for me but still have to pick it out :( lol
 
Thanks! The photo is a few months old, the tank is going to be 1 year old in a couple of weeks and I need to update it.

The photo is a still from this video, when the tank was 8 months old.


Another deceptively peaceful looking coral is the goniopora. I suspect at least some of them can handle the BTA's. I had to move the red goniopora down a bit because the purple one was launching long sweeper and was damaging it,
Love your tank and your video!
 
(I will keep updating this thread according to the experience other members have and post here).

LIST OF CORALS ABLE TO COEXIST WITH BTA'S:

- Pavona (mixed reports)
- Frogspawns
- Torches
- Xenias
- Plates (green fungia)
- Favia
- Tougher paly's
- Hydnophora
- Some montiporas digitata

Currently testing:

- Milka Stylo and green slimer acro.

-------------------

I placed this milka stylo in the middle of my BTA colony and at least for now, it seems that the anemones avoid it.

I have seen them immediately retract their tentacles if they brush against the milka.

20200306_153919.jpg


Xenias are even worse for the anemones. They don't seem affected at all by their sting and in weeks, they manage to evict them.

I am also testing how an acro fares near xenias and anemones.

20200306_154828.jpg
My black widow is laying on my photosynthetic blue purple sponge. It does not bother it
399284F7-08E4-40F5-9D2D-78E1F1720B61.jpeg
70DBEF86-10FC-4988-BEF8-06ED4B882275.jpeg
 
I change carbon every couple of weeks. When they spawn I change it immediately.
Why do this ? I've had a BTA for a couple of months now, and the dang thing has split into 5 already ! Grows like a weed, but I've never done this with my carbon ?

Also, have a tube anemone. Both have stayed put for the most part, although the lastest BTA split, one left the rock where the other 4 are at and moved up closer to the front....seems okay for now.

RBT.jpg tube anem.jpg
 
Here's the one up front that I was talking about...to the left of the hammer.

tank3.jpg
 
I love my Anemones but they do get annoying. Sometimes they randomly decide to go chill on my Zoas and sting my Duncans.
 
Why do this ? I've had a BTA for a couple of months now, and the dang thing has split into 5 already ! Grows like a weed, but I've never done this with my carbon ?

Also, have a tube anemone. Both have stayed put for the most part, although the lastest BTA split, one left the rock where the other 4 are at and moved up closer to the front....seems okay for now.

RBT.jpg tube anem.jpg

I had four of my Anemones split within a one month period. Turned into a dang Anemone tank. I had to get rid of some
 
I had four of my Anemones split within a one month period. Turned into a dang Anemone tank. I had to get rid of some
How did you get rid of them ? Thinking about removing 1 or so of em, and not sure how
 
Why do this ? I've had a BTA for a couple of months now, and the dang thing has split into 5 already ! Grows like a weed, but I've never done this with my carbon ?

Also, have a tube anemone. Both have stayed put for the most part, although the lastest BTA split, one left the rock where the other 4 are at and moved up closer to the front....seems okay for now.

RBT.jpg tube anem.jpg

I change carbon often to reduce chemical warfare and to increase the odds of having viable carbon in the tank when something bad happens.
 
My rbta is parked next to Xenia, elephant skin and an elegance and they are doing fine. However, my Hollywood stunner not so well.

EE84E8AD-8740-4854-8BFB-02ACA4655B5A.jpeg
 
Here's an update on how the Milka stylo is dealing with the btas.

A134_04090436_S014.jpg
 
The anemones have moved away and the milka is fine.

I doesn't work well with montis or acros.
20210221_175554.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top