Whos Going to Reefapalooza Orlando!!??

Interesting. How are prices there for frag swaps? I feel like most vendors lately here have pretty steep prices, even at Frag Swaps. Every now and then you'll come across 1 or 2 vendors with some great deals and that makes it worth it to me! Like you said, vendors aren't willing to pay a very high price for a table at a show like RAP if the turnout isn't going to be good, and i guess most feel that they can't lower their prices too much so they can recover the price they paid for the both. But then hobbyists don't want to pay the cost of travel or ticket price for something they don't feel they're getting a good deal on. I just got back from RAP Orlando Day 1 and I actually enjoyed a frag swap I went to in February better than RAP (and the Frag Swap price was $20 cheaper than RAP!). However, I can't complain because I still managed to snag an amazing deal on a new AI Blade from Top Shelf Aquatics who was bringing the heat on some sweet deals and I got a few Frag Racks from PNW Customs. :D
double post
 
You can do better from local guys than at frag swaps, but you don't get all the variety in one place. Most of our local guys do the swaps and we have a couple that really have the rarer zoas, which is what I like. Since I go to every swap most of the local vendors know my face and will cut me deals if I'm buying a few things. It also helps that I try and buy everything with cash, so they are even more willing to cut deals. Except for Aquashella and Reefapalooza there are is little to no hardware available. I normally don't even pay attention to the hardware except for Dirk's, I always check out his stuff. I still kick myself for not buying the Corals of the World bookset he had a few years back at Aquashella. I really miss the VIP they used to do for some of the swaps that would allow you to come the night before when a lot of the vendors were setting up. There would be a lot of drinking and I would get some great deals. The last 2 times I went to the VIP I ended up not the day of the swap because I spent all my money the night before.

The swap a few weeks back the vendors had really nice gold torches for $150, some that were splitting and he said no one was buying. Even the vendors that had rows and rows of $15 to $30 frags weren't selling.

My biggest problem with the big shows is I want to walk around and check out all the booths before I buy anything. Nothing worse than paying $50 for a zoa and then seeing the same one a few booth away for $25. The problem is I see things I say I will come back and get and then I forget about it and remember once I left or I go back and it is already gone.

Ha! Drinking the night before/VIP sounds like fun! Yeah, what really sucks is when the vendors themselves buy the best stuff from each other and it's sold before you even had a chance to look at it! :D
 
Ha! Drinking the night before/VIP sounds like fun! Yeah, what really sucks is when the vendors themselves buy the best stuff from each other and it's sold before you even had a chance to look at it! :D
I don't drink so not fun for me. But the deals can be great. One of the vendors actually had a bottle of whiskey at the frag swap a few weeks back. He was hammered by the second hour of the swap. He always makes me some great deals but he really made me a good one that afternoon. I do agree about the vendors swapping but hey, it spreads around some of the nicer corals and hopefully means it will be better for all of us down the road. Heck, if wasn't for some of the vendors buying from the other vendors at the last frag swap, some may not have sold very much.

I do wonder how frag swaps are doing around the country. DFW has been bad the last year other than Aquashella, but I think freshwater/reptiles carry that show to a degree. I was amazed at how many people around me in line were freshwater only people. I recently went to a freshwater swap here locally and it was packed. I bet they had 200 to 300 people show up. And people were buying. Everyone seemed to have several bags of things as they were walking around.
 
I'm going does anyone know what the 21yr+ vip event is ? Wondering if it's worth it
 
I will be there! My wife surprised me with the trip for my birthday! Currently setting up another tank, an Aquaforest OG 605, so I hope to get my hands on some good equipment! Coming from Illinois and staying on the grounds for four days! I am beyond ready!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top