Why 30 minutes pumps off for feeding?

peterhos

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2022
Messages
432
Reaction score
266
Location
London
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

My tank is now 2 years old. My gonioporas are tiny now … are they starving? SPS surviving but not really ‘thriving’. Zoanthids small but seem to enjoy broadcast feeding.

So I now ask, why do we turn the pumps off for 30 minutes for feeding? Is there any rationale for this? Do corals need a few minutes to ‘open up’ and so consume food?

I also wonder whether a combination of skimmer + roller mat is too efficient and so starves the tank.

Maybe we should forget the skimmer and roller mat and just have flow and a good CUC.

Anyone got thoughts on this?

Thanks all.
 
i leave the powerheads on to move the food around but yes, shut off all filtration. otherwise it just cleans out all the food from the water and you waste a lot of it. it could be you have too much filtration going. idk. you could maybe try just running your skimmer a couple hours a day twice a week and leave the roller mat on. or just shut the roller mat off completely and just run the skimmer. youll have to watch your parameters
 
I only use the power heads long enough to disperse food throughout the water then turn them off too. Chalices in particular are slow eaters.
 
I turned off my powerheads but left the skimmer on. When I reboot, both are going off. I'm changing that up. Although the leaving the PH on for a second to disperse is a good idea......
 
I only use the power heads long enough to disperse food throughout the water then turn them off too. Chalices in particular are slow eaters.
Interesting. I bought a chalice recently. How slow is slow? Do they need everything off for 30 minutes or longer? How many times a week do they like being fed?
 
I turn my return pumps off so the food does not get sucked into the filtration. I leave them off until everything has eaten. . . or when I remember. I leave my wavemakers on in hopes of getting food to the corals.

This type of feeding ^^^ where you just create a food blizzard in the tank is broadcast feeding, just shooting food around hoping everyone gets a bite. The other type of feeding is spot feeding, where you turn off all flow and shoot the food directly at the coral/corals mouth. The later will maximize the food the corals get. . . is that necessary? I would say no, though there are specific corals that will benefit from spot feeding.

As far as starving the corals, a reef mat and skimmer can definitely strip nutrients from the water, and while nutrient levels are directly related to feeding, it is sort of a different question. . . as in, what are your nitrate and phosphate levels?
 
Last edited:
I leave my flow on, but its actually very rare that I feed corals, they should not need feeding to grow. Corals get 90% of their energy from light, so if your corals haven't grown in 2 years I would look at lighting first before investigating feeding techniques and time.
 
I only use the power heads long enough to disperse food throughout the water then turn them off too. Chalices in particular are slow eaters.
I feel that a broadcast feeding with everything off for a while may be the way to go. Has anyone ever tested how slowly corals open up/feed/need in total…?
 
Return pumps off 15 minutes just because thats the length of feed mode. I don't touch powerheads. I feed a frozen mix that I don't rinse. I add selcon and vitachem and reef roids on alternating days. I dump it in and it looks like a snow storm. Everything but the tiny stuff is gone in a couple of minutes. I figure doing it this way everything in the tank has a chance to eat.
 
Chalices can take a half hour to eat.
To clarify, when I feed fish I turn off everything for 10 minutes then turn flow on and leave the return off for another 20. I have some fish that like to chase their food and the flow will push mysis etc toward corals.
If I broadcast just for corals, I let flow coat all the water then shut the flow down so whatever I’m feeding just hangs and sinks slowly. If I target feed meaty food, I leave everything off for 30 minutes.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top