Why are the new growth coming out all bleached

neupane00

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2015
Messages
844
Reaction score
289
Location
New Jersey, USA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nitrate: 0.2
Phos: 0.02
Calc : 450
ALk : 7.4
Mag : 1500
Hey guys, in several of my SPS the new branches that are coming out are all very light/bleached. I still see the polyps there, and extension is decent. I am shocked as to why ONLY the new branches are bleached. For example , in the pic below, the left longer branch is a new growth. and rest of the coral is the frag i got 5 months ago. The new branch (on the left) started very faded, and then it remained like that. I mean it grew a lot , but no color.. im baffled.. Pic below, (that faded branch looks paler in person)
hT1nntl_j7xSg3Aq_lilsipqEg7CZfebozSOugX-M6p6puE4iCPjQrcQymmrdyIecPnbpOOzPToivrWCzz67RWuzmJKbjCAdN-2dj5eidNua_TFCLjRPY1WF0yOaX4fCUnH9_GNa4TOvVpcOKVBlgFxu4kHl8IIZ7YsowuBbp8qcm74YKeYDupChboNnBFvguTfkbcFSUBQfeZQRto4h9RoF2unVy8rgn1vm_kw14g6jl0HyZMzvebLl_NIkrTKc3XllXzIwIBW85utE7Yhon5OxkBbLW58zb8A0hGZphO7I8PJ91hGj6rM3bbS_yN4n1JzH5g-iOR-yjDiJs7EMPS9J3TguK7OeM8OPKuVcm-9lV71CqEG3mRzKjvDKxowS2KDHCDrsHT7IvA_znZnQ-uvkhmDFBTEIVjSXK0shTi6_qS-nc3VKG6YXlUCptNvkKTS-qSNfKRPXxRj3UOC25j66JRku0BHrNKuu5VV9Gtrhhve8vjiWH0QWBfFl_EtxiDVLEJxQk3Jb7BfFOGoyGhGN-oaHSl_IrQhPfeTkDVFSNAZ4jpChrFaclb4vgRN12550=w677-h902-no
 
That's normal. I see that all the time on especially fast growing acros. They gain their color as the branch elongates, in my experience. When I have been really on top of my husbandry and growth starts to go into high gear again, this is what I have always seen in my 15 years with reef tanks.
 
+1 on new growth. Many corals new growth will be white then color up as it ages. My red stag's new growth is snow white. As long as algae isn't growing on white areas, your OK.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top