Why cant i get coraline algae to grow

John08007

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
945
Reaction score
653
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly as the title states, i use to have coraline spreading everywhere. I started to lack on maintenance and water changes, had a few cyano outbreaks. About a yr later and im getting the tank back in shape. I am dosing 2 part+mag, my numbers are ca 456, kh 8.5, mg 1340, salinity 1.022, ph 8.3. I think my phosphates may still be a little elevated because i have a small patch of a green cyamo looking algae on the sand. I just dripped a dose of lanthium and put my gfo reactor back in to solve that.

Any other tips or something i am missing?
 
Well your salinity is a little low. Could be lighting, some prefer dim lighting and take off but others just bleach under high lighting.
 
Do you have any coralline algae in your tank at the present time? If not, you need to seed it by doing one of two things. Either buy a piece of live rock, coral frag or anything that has some coralline algae on it and put it in your tank. Or, their are products out there that contain the algae spores to help you grow coralline algae.
Coralline algae is pretty easy and not demanding to grow. Low to moderate water flow and light with suitable calcium, alkalinity and pH.
 
Exactly as the title states, i use to have coraline spreading everywhere. I started to lack on maintenance and water changes, had a few cyano outbreaks. About a yr later and im getting the tank back in shape. I am dosing 2 part+mag, my numbers are ca 456, kh 8.5, mg 1340, salinity 1.022, ph 8.3. I think my phosphates may still be a little elevated because i have a small patch of a green cyamo looking algae on the sand. I just dripped a dose of lanthium and put my gfo reactor back in to solve that.

Any other tips or something i am missing?
Your numbers all look fine except that I would try to increase your salinity to 1.026. Coralline thrives in water that’s suitable for corals. I have similar params to you but 1.026 salinity. I added some dry rock to my tank roughly 4 months ago. There is coralline growing all over them. Small dots but starting to look nice.
 
I have some coraline now, it is bleaching out and not spreading. I will boost up my salinity, i have left it where it is because my corals and fully extended and looking healthy.

Lighting may be the key, i had led's and switched back to a 250w mh because i like the shimmer of the mh. The coraline toward the top is where i 1st saw it bleaching out.
 
I used this product with great results.. Patience is required.. They lay out acceptable params on site..
 
I had some rock in my transferred system that’s about 10 months old. coraline algae was fading out on the new rock I had bought that was covered. Ca = 400, alk = 8.7 SG = 1.027 , PO4 was .15 and NO3 was zero. dosed some potassium nitrate for the first time ever in any of my tanks - and when I say dose I mean less than 1ppm dose a couple times a week. and maybe a month later it’s much darker and little dots are showing up all over the rocks. previous I would have very faint rings on the glass but that’s about it. Oh and I started feeding much more as well.
 
Thst is my back wall its unreal how much this stuff can grow in optimal conditions.. 410/7.8 alk cal 1400mag is my stable numbers..
ec50bffee6f0c51dd9558665a79b777b.jpg
 
I have some coraline now, it is bleaching out and not spreading. I will boost up my salinity, i have left it where it is because my corals and fully extended and looking healthy.

Lighting may be the key, i had led's and switched back to a 250w mh because i like the shimmer of the mh. The coraline toward the top is where i 1st saw it bleaching out.

Yes, your coralline is bleaching because the light is way to strong. It does not need intense light to grow.
 
Remember, the more coralline algae the more you will need to supplement calcium! The same holds true to your SPS, LPS and Clams. The more you add or the more growth, the quicker the calcium becomes depleted in your tank.
 
Remember, the more coralline algae the more you will need to supplement calcium! The same holds true to your SPS, LPS and Clams. The more you add or the more growth, the quicker the calcium becomes depleted in your tank.

And alkalinity. About 2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm of calcium. :)
 
Im not sure if it works but ime adding strontium to get natural levels helped my corraline take off.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top