Why do I need to cover ATI with acrylic slab?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
12,222
Reaction score
23,039
Location
Miami Beach
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI fixture came with an acrylic screen. What’s the purpose of this screen? It really makes changing bulbs a hassle in my canopy.
 
1625445445592.png



I only change bulbs every 12 months and some go 18 months so it shouldn't be too bad.
 
T5 bulbs need to run at a certain temperature for maximum efficiency.
 
I think it's mostly protection from splashes, if water hits the bulbs when hot they can break and shatter all over.
 
As Tamberav has posted-----

The plastic screen is protection against splashes to protect the reflectors and the end caps. It's also used as the vent exit area to cool the bulbs and the ballasts.

Taking it off is a terrible idea if that's what you were planning to do.

Your hanging design is what may make the bulbs a hassle to change. I have my fixture with hanging hardware so that I can take the fixture down a replace the bulbs. It takes all of 10 minutes.

Leave it as it's designed to be used and the fixture will last a lifetime. You can get 15 months easy out of the bulbs.
 
Haven’t seen it specifically mentioned but I THINK the cooling system is designed for the acrylic shield to channel the air alone the length of the bulbs to cool them and exhaust out the opposite end the holes are on in the metal housing. The label side of the bulb should always go where the holes are in the housing. Otherwise the fans are only cooking the ballasts
 
I slide the shield out and change the bulbs while the light is hanging, easy peasy. Oh, I see they are in a canopy.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top