Why do people lose it after a bit of algae?

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 28, 2018
Messages
1,478
Reaction score
2,029
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I start, yes algae can kill our corals in left unchecked and cloud our vision making an ugly looking tank but why do people feel horrible if just a tiny bit comes up? I've notice that if any bit of algae that comes up in the tank people start to think they are horrible reef keepers and flip out. Is that necessary? Yes it means it's taking up excess nutrients but for me personally my algae helps keep my nutrients nice and low.... should I change this view? Should I try to eradicate all algae? I mean I like the look of a clean tank but I could never get rid of mine
 
It's your tank. If you don't mind it then don't worry about it. I think most people get a little antsy when they see algae because it's an indicator of something else. If it's not normal to have any algae in your tank then something changed and in the pursuit of stability you would want to identify what changed.
 
Best advise about reefing is be proactive and get ahead of stuff because once anything gets a foothold it is so much harder to fix. Algae, bugs, pests, RTN, STN, list goes on if you get the drift.
 
No, you don't need to change your view IMO, and I do agree that some algae is both normal and healthy. I think a lot of folks who post about their algae "problem" have been battling excessive amounts for a while and become exasperated.

Also, some of the algae (the slime varieties of bacteria, the hair algae, the bubble algae, etc.) are aesthetically hideous, which is the exact opposite of why we all love our marine tanks so it causes frustration.
 
No, you don't need to change your view IMO, and I do agree that some algae is both normal and healthy. I think a lot of folks who post about their algae "problem" have been battling excessive amounts for a while and become exasperated.

Also, some of the algae (the slime varieties of bacteria, the hair algae, the bubble algae, etc.) are aesthetically hideous, which is the exact opposite of why we all love our marine tanks so it causes frustration.
yeah and slime well.... that's one I agree with, lot's of harm
 
Some of the non invasive algae can be stunning and you could have plenty of this in a reef tank, if you could stop the fish eating it first

I think the problem is invasive algae such as GHA etc, these can take over a reef tank if left unchecked and is also an indicator that something is wrong, such as increased phosphate etc.

Personally I don’t want my tank, that I spend time trying to make it look ‘pretty’, taken over by something that doesn’t care we’re it grows or what it covers and in my eyes is not ‘pleasing to me eye’

But everyone is different, if someone wants a tank that’s covered in it fine.
 
Right now my tank does have a lot but low nitrates and such due to the algae. For my next tank I do want to have as little as possible, new system and everything
 
Well, about a month ago I felt GHA was a thing of the past. Granted my tank is rich with nutrients and though I had progressed to cleaning up the trouble spots and gently lowering phosphates over the course of a year.

I made a few changes...new skimmer, missed a WC, fed a little more due to things going well. All of a sudden GHA is popping up everywhere. I noticed the other night that my DI filter was pushing 1ppm water out...so new filter on the way as well as some better snails.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top