Why does the salt smell citrus? Using Redsea blue bucket.

  • Thread starter Thread starter KGV
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

KGV

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2021
Messages
252
Reaction score
120
Location
Belgium
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered why the salt smells this way. Doesn't seem like a natural smell. Any ideas?
 
good question. I wonder what inorganic compounds in a salt mix could actually generate a smell. My I.O. salt also has a smell, but I don't know what the smell is from, or how I'd describe it other than "salty".
 
Almost all smells are organics. Ammonia and hydrogen sulfide are among the few inorganics likely to be in a reef environment that smell.
 
Last edited:
Interesting topic, I use Fauna Marin or Tropic Marin salt (who ever is available). I don’t smell anything but while back when TM had its Turkey crisis some commented that they smelled citrus.
Maybe the salt is made beside a spice production line, just kidding.
 
Interesting topic, I use Fauna Marin or Tropic Marin salt (who ever is available). I don’t smell anything but while back when TM had its Turkey crisis some commented that they smelled citrus.
Maybe the salt is made beside a spice production line, just kidding.
I should add that the Redsea blue bucket salt has always smelled like that and has always given me good results.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top