Why i think red sea test kit is horrible!

Hmmm. I thought they were the best you can get; and love how they pack neatly away. Almost bought the Colors set this weekend at my lfs.
 
I got the reef foundations kit for Christmas, and I have to say right from the first time I used it I really liked it! Certainly different from the API, kits and the readings I get make more sense than what I got with the API kit. The control of the titration is really good as well. I could not disagree with you more.
 
I use Red Sea also and its a breeze to use. My 10yr old daughter knows how to use it perfectly and she also check all parameters. She's good at it! When using the syringe pull all the way to the top, the fluid usually fills all the way to the 10ml line and I dont use the 5ml syringe as I have a 10 ml syringe to fill the bottles with water.
 
I use Red Sea also and its a breeze to use. My 10yr old daughter knows how to use it perfectly and she also check all parameters. She's good at it! When using the syringe pull all the way to the top, the fluid usually fills all the way to the 10ml line and I dont use the 5ml syringe as I have a 10 ml syringe to fill the bottles with water.
Joni, if you are pulling the inside part of the plunger to the top because of the air inside the syringe you are pulling it too far. The air bubble is not a flaw in the design of the syringes. It is there to compensate for the volume of liquid inside the needle that you cannot see. For an accurate measurement pull the inside of it up to the point to where the bottom meets the 1 Ml measurement even if the air bubble keeps the liquid at .9 or even .85 Ml. The other .1 or .15 Ml that the air bubble takes up is because there is that much of the liquid in the needle tip of the syringe. If you fill the liquid up to the 1.0 Ml line and the plunger is above that due to the air then your readings will be off and you should measure properly again
 
i love these test i find them very simple easier then saliferts which also incorporates the air gap
 
so, I guess the conclusion is that RS test kits are accurate, relatively easy to use, and take a bit of practice/patience. I think the OP issues may come from user error.
 
Lol bro I never went to chemistry class and here I am now learning the hard way!
 
I think everything has been covered accept the Titrate (sorry if spelling is wrong.)
Try turning the bottle to the left first while holding against the threads on the holder. When you feel a little click during the rotation the threads should be lined up. Now turn to the right and should go on straight.
 
The tip on the titration syringe and the air in the headspace have nothing to do with it. The tip is to ensure the outflow is controlled drip and you're only measuring the amount used. So long as the headspace is the same throughout your process, you measure the difference between your start point and end point. You could pull 10ml if you wanted. Or .8 to start. It doesn't matter so long as you can read how much you used.
 
The titrator doesn't have to be tight or straight ... Or even on. Dispense your solution and Swirl it. You don't have to shake it like a maraca.
 
Agreed you do not need the syringe attached to anything as long as you are comfortable not spilling. It just needs a light swirl. However, the tip of the syringe and the air at the top ARE important. If you pull your plunger to the 1.0 Ml line but there is air in the top .1 Ml portion that is because there is an unmeasured .1 Ml in the needle of the syringe. This is important to note and understand in order to have and read your measurements accurately and properly
 
I only have one problem with Red Sea and you didn't even list it. The numbers/ lines easily rub off on the syringe. Other than that they seem pretty solid.
 
The phosphate and alkalinity are wildly inaccurate. I switched back to Salifert. Not as fancy but i know they are giving me true values ( i used mulrople kits to gauge accuracy). Careful woth Hanna Phos. Test same sample 5 times you will get 3 diffetent values.
 
I only have one problem with Red Sea and you didn't even list it. The numbers/ lines easily rub off on the syringe. Other than that they seem pretty solid.

I agree, this is my only complaint. I've been using red sea test kits since they first came out and I'm happy with them.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top