Why is my Coral Monti going white?

Andrew_3896

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2019
Messages
115
Reaction score
68
Location
Dundas, Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a monti that is going white at the bottom. It almost looks fuzzy. It is growing or dying?

It’s about 2 weeks old.

The picture isn’t great, sorry.

It use to look like the second picture.

Thanks!

9A1C8A39-3E38-4BE4-A7DA-C50B91520337.jpeg B9B32D34-B2FC-4E00-B8A9-A5867AA2BA1B.jpeg
 
It’s not a very clear picture but is it getting enough light as it looks like it’s towards the underside of the rock/coral maybe
 
Can the bottom die off due to lack of light.

Here are few more pictures. Still not great.

B7569CC1-1DFE-4EFC-A2E9-84776E682C7C.jpeg 4B97347C-2A32-4E79-B29E-FE02E29DAFFE.jpeg
 
Looks like it may be from Shading (area where it is light defiecient). See it you can change angle of the frag.
Other thing to check: Verify no flatworks or little bugs) and your salinity as well as Alk levels.
 
not enough light if the loss of color happens in the shaded areas
 
Can the bottom die off due to lack of light.
YES! Any coral (or portion of coral) that relies on photosynthesis will die if it doesn't get enough light. Not a huge deal as this happens in nature all the time... the part of the coral that is getting light will be okay.
 
Last edited:
Ok so I moved the frag a bit so now there is almost no shaded areas at all. I don’t have an ATO so the salinity goes up and down a bit, usually around 1.026. My alk is around 9, again it goes up and down a few points. Will the white parts grow back?
 
Maybe it will recover if it wasn't light stared too long. Usually once a coral goes white, that part is done though.
 
It just noticed the white yesterday and it was worse this morning so it hasn’t been long.

Thanks for the help everyone.
 
It’s normal for montis to be colorless underneath. Playing varieties actually look light on the edges as they grow. Encrusters normally grow towards the light level they like and will bleach If it’s too high. The Superman on my back glass shows the pattern I’m talking about.
6FF82759-AA2C-4558-8D1F-23962DC4D2B2.jpeg
C203158F-E494-4ADF-A58E-43E3819946C1.jpeg
 
Hmm, yes I see. Good to know. I guess I could have left it where is was. I kind of just stuck the frag straight up. Will it encrust down the frag plug or out to the sides.
 
following.. ive been having trouble with montipora
I was having trouble with all the montipora in my tank. Turned out to be Iodine deficiency. Hobby test kits couldn't pick up on it, but an ICP test confirmed for me. I dosed Kent Tech I and almost instantly the montipora begun to be happier. I now dose 1ml of Kent Tech I everyday. Montiporas are growing and look great.
 
I was having trouble with all the montipora in my tank. Turned out to be Iodine deficiency. Hobby test kits couldn't pick up on it, but an ICP test confirmed for me. I dosed Kent Tech I and almost instantly the montipora begun to be happier. I now dose 1ml of Kent Tech I everyday. Montiporas are growing and look great.
you just sent me down an iodine rabbit hole lol. I haven't done an ICP test but just curious what salt you use? not sure if my salt supplies iodine or not (brightwell's neomarine)
 
you just sent me down an iodine rabbit hole lol. I haven't done an ICP test but just curious what salt you use? not sure if my salt supplies iodine or not (brightwell's neomarine)
I use tropic Marin Pro. I also thought my salt would provide enough. Which is does supply some, but some corals I think just need a bit more. The issue with iodine and my monti's I had to do a WC every 4-5 days. Then the monti looked good and begun receding after 3-4 days. Did a WC and the cycle started again. Ever since I've been dosing iodine I haven't seen any issues and I was able to get my tank on a normal 10% weekly change.
 
It’s getting a lot worse. I turn my lights down a bunch to see if it is getting bleached. Any other thing I could do. Would a water change help.
 
Hi, the white is getting worse, I will check my parms today but what could be causing this.

I have chalice down below that I added at the same time and it is doing great.

Are my lights too high or too low?

9E2E8E9B-D621-4D26-91F2-C4A9EAA66E29.jpeg 17A80EC2-2E05-4650-AD37-BEBBDD4BFCDC.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top