Why is my torch coral closing and opening?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2018
Messages
1,248
Reaction score
447
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch coral i got around 3 days ago has been extending and closing throughout the day. I just wanted to know if i should dip it and if so which dip and if not then is it normal? All other corals are open and happy :) Thank you!

Alk- 8.6
Cal- 510
Mg- 1400

Nitrate- 4-5ppm
Phosphate- not sure

Ph 7.7-8

20191128_181657.jpg
 
I can already tell you, everyone is going to ask if you can get an accurate reading of your phosphates.

Also, what sort of lights are you using? What is the flow likenin your tank?

You say it is extending and closing. Is there a certain time of the day you see it close up? Most of my euphyllias are open am fully extended during the day, but once the light switches over to moonlight settings, they close for a bit before extending again. My hammers more so than my frogspawn. The only other times I ever see them close up us when something aggravates them, like a snail climbing on them, or a fish swimming by them, or me cleaning the glass right by them and stirring up the water with the movement of my scrubber.
 
I can already tell you, everyone is going to ask if you can get an accurate reading of your phosphates.

Also, what sort of lights are you using? What is the flow likenin your tank?

You say it is extending and closing. Is there a certain time of the day you see it close up? Most of my euphyllias are open am fully extended during the day, but once the light switches over to moonlight settings, they close for a bit before extending again. My hammers more so than my frogspawn. The only other times I ever see them close up us when something aggravates them, like a snail climbing on them, or a fish swimming by them, or me cleaning the glass right by them and stirring up the water with the movement of my scrubber.

Im not entierly sure but its done it throughout the day... like right this second its extended(will post a video of it) just did a phos test aswell and results will be posted up and i would say medium flow with par at 100 for lighting :) also running 3 xr15 g4's and its positioned inbetween two of the lights
 

Attachments

  • 20191128_185314.mp4
    14.3 MB
So phos is at 0ppm but that isnt true because i get algae on my glass every 3-4 days i would guess and currently dealing with a small case of bubble algae :) doing a nitrate test aswell to make sure but its been consistent at 4-5ppm. Tank is also 2.5years old!

Edit*
Nitrate at 2ppm
 
Last edited:
Hmm....do you notice anything around it like vermited snails, or do you see anything moving on it?

Cause like I said, for the most part, I only see my euphyllias act up when something touches them or swims too close. My frogspawn right this moment has closed up a bit because my Midnight Clown swam past it a while ago. But my two hammers, who have not been bothered (yet) are perfectly happy and fat. My frogspawn is also pooping right now, so that could also play into why it is all "schrunched up".

I guess another thing, maybe the flow is too strong for it? I know it is not really good for their flesh right around the top of the skeleton to be exposed, which can happen when flow is too strong and blowing their tentacles away from the head skeleton. I know I had to stop running my powerhead as the flow was too strong for my 2 hammers and frogspawn. Now I only turn it on sparkingly, usually after water changes or if I stirred up the sand or detritus on my rocks, just to clear up the water faster.

Where's the #reefsquad at? Surely someone in the squad should have a better idea as to why your torch is like this.
 

Attachments

  • 20191128_201816.mp4
    19.8 MB
Hmm....do you notice anything around it like vermited snails, or do you see anything moving on it?

Cause like I said, for the most part, I only see my euphyllias act up when something touches them or swims too close. My frogspawn right this moment has closed up a bit because my Midnight Clown swam past it a while ago. But my two hammers, who have not been bothered (yet) are perfectly happy and fat. My frogspawn is also pooping right now, so that could also play into why it is all "schrunched up".

I guess another thing, maybe the flow is too strong for it? I know it is not really good for their flesh right around the top of the skeleton to be exposed, which can happen when flow is too strong and blowing their tentacles away from the head skeleton. I know I had to stop running my powerhead as the flow was too strong for my 2 hammers and frogspawn. Now I only turn it on sparkingly, usually after water changes or if I stirred up the sand or detritus on my rocks, just to clear up the water faster.

Where's the #reefsquad at? Surely someone in the squad should have a better idea as to why your torch is like this.

Fish usually are around it swimming near it but the coral is super clean! And ill try and get it to a lower flow area!
 
3 days in the tank, low nutrients, new lighting, give it time.

How long would you say till i need to worry and change placement and such?
 
How long would you say till i need to worry and change placement and such?
If it starts looking a lot worse move it, otherwise wait 2 weeks.
If the arms shrink to less than 1cm per arm, be worried.
 
If it starts looking a lot worse move it, otherwise wait 2 weeks.
If the arms shrink to less than 1cm per arm, be worried.

Shrinking less then 1cm consistently? What do i do if it gets to that and how would i fix it?
 
Shrinking less then 1cm consistently? What do i do if it gets to that and how would i fix it?
Yea consistently. I’m not sure What the cure is but when mine have done that they usually don’t make it.
 
How is lights out looking?

15750013672215651797357011061698.jpg
Not excellent but not horrible, they shrink at night anyways. In a few days try a piece of mysis. Food will help it but if it’s in rough condition it’s a dangerous game, it could kill the coral if it doesn’t have enough energy to properly digest the food.
 
Not excellent but not horrible, they shrink at night anyways. In a few days try a piece of mysis. Food will help it but if it’s in rough condition it’s a dangerous game, it could kill the coral if it doesn’t have enough energy to properly digest the food.

Okay! Ill get a picture of it tomorrow :)
 
Not excellent but not horrible, they shrink at night anyways. In a few days try a piece of mysis. Food will help it but if it’s in rough condition it’s a dangerous game, it could kill the coral if it doesn’t have enough energy to properly digest the food.

Heres a video from just now :) let me know if theres anything to change! Rhomboids after some attention also XD
 

Attachments

  • VID-20191129-WA0005.mp4
    7.4 MB

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top