Why is my trident really unreliable with its results?

leonardomanzano

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2022
Messages
158
Reaction score
77
Location
oregon
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1670374323432.png


I have calibrated it with the solution I got with the trident and I calibrated it again but Instead of putting the bottles parameters I calibrated it to the parameter levels in my tank that I got yet its still not getting correct readings.

What could be causing this?
I was told pH could affect KH so heres this as well!

1670374687576.png


(I tested each parameter 3 times and they were very close)
my readings are
415 calcium salifert
1430 magnesium salifert
8.3 alkalinity tested with both hannah and salifert
 
just use trident for its consistency not for accuracy lol
That's a bummer, I got the apex pro kit as I heard a lot of good things from them. I'm bummed out that this is something a lot of people run into :/ Thank you though! I would've gone into a never-ending cycle of trying to fix that alkalinity issue.
 
That's a bummer, I got the apex pro kit as I heard a lot of good things from them. I'm bummed out that this is something a lot of people run into :/ Thank you though! I would've gone into a never-ending cycle of trying to fix that alkalinity issue.
I think it’s the recent batch of trident not sure but before when I had them they’re almost spot on and I ditch the Hanna. But now I just bought a brand new one recently and many people have the same problem so I know it’s not me but the manufacturer error maybe.
 
1670374323432.png


I have calibrated it with the solution I got with the trident and I calibrated it again but Instead of putting the bottles parameters I calibrated it to the parameter levels in my tank that I got yet its still not getting correct readings.

What could be causing this?
I was told pH could affect KH so heres this as well!

1670374687576.png


(I tested each parameter 3 times and they were very close)
my readings are
415 calcium salifert
1430 magnesium salifert
8.3 alkalinity tested with both hannah and salifert
What Alk reading do you get when you take a sample of your saltwater to your LFS?
 
1670374323432.png


I have calibrated it with the solution I got with the trident and I calibrated it again but Instead of putting the bottles parameters I calibrated it to the parameter levels in my tank that I got yet its still not getting correct readings.

What could be causing this?
I was told pH could affect KH so heres this as well!

1670374687576.png


(I tested each parameter 3 times and they were very close)
my readings are
415 calcium salifert
1430 magnesium salifert
8.3 alkalinity tested with both hannah and salifert
why I sold mine after a year unfortunately. kept trying to calibrate it, kept going off, not paying $100 to send it in, sold it off, got a used kh guardian for $200 and couldn't be happier
 
No, it isn't.
Feel free to clarify and suport that position. There are plenty of unreliable Trident test result threads out there. Toss in Neptune publicly stating that trends are more important than accuracy or precision.

Remember that the initial delay of the Trident release was to provide the most accurate, precise, and consistent test results. This is all well known publicly accessible information.
 
I'm starting to wonder if the Trident needs to be housed inside a refrigerator to preserve the reagents and you drill a hole for the water in/out lines.
 
Feel free to clarify and suport that position. There are plenty of unreliable Trident test result threads out there. Toss in Neptune publicly stating that trends are more important than accuracy or precision.

I don't really need to clarify. How many tridents are in service? How many come to forums and post? How many come to forums and post good regardless of product?

Do you own one? I do. Have for a while now. Performed the self service in Aug. Still runs fine. You want accuracy here you go. The trident is source of record for me. I don't need to pull whatever remaining hair I have out to see who is on first.

Edit: also note reagent level since some seem to think that is the issue. These are Neptune reagents.


1670378212569.png


1670378224085.png


1670378235525.png
 
No, it isn't.
Oh, it most definitely is the way. Between calibration fluid that's not even remotely accurate to wide variations between reagent bottles in the same batch. Most of us recalibrate our Tridents manually at least once a month (or whenever we switch out reagents).

I currently look after four (4) Tridents in independent locations; they're all like this.
 
You have to calibrate it properly.
Put the calibration solution bottle at the same height as the end of the black tubing is in the tank normally. Then route the tube like it is in normal operation. Put the tube into the calibration bottle. Prime the sample line twice. Then perform calibration. (The tube has to be close to operating configuration because the back pressure on the line is important for accuracy.)

Here is the instruction link to show you.
 
I don't really need to clarify. How many tridents are in service? How many come to forums and post? How many come to forums and post good regardless of product?

Do you own one? I do. Have for a while now. Performed the self service in Aug. Still runs fine. You want accuracy here you go. The trident is source of record for me. I don't need to pull whatever remaining hair I have out to see who is on first.

Edit: also note reagent level since some seem to think that is the issue. These are Neptune reagents.


1670378212569.png


1670378224085.png


1670378235525.png
:face-with-tears-of-joy::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I'll let you think about that for a min.
 
Oh, it most definitely is the way. Between calibration fluid that's not even remotely accurate to wide variations between reagent bottles in the same batch. Most of us recalibrate our Tridents manually at least once a month (or whenever we switch out reagents).

I currently look after four (4) Tridents in independent locations; they're all like this.

If it was the way they wouldn't be popular but we can just disagree, no?
 
If it was the way they wouldn't be popular but we can just disagree, no?
You're free to disagree (and far be it for me to try and persuade you otherwise), but having setup and monitored four (4) Tridents up over the past year and a half, and having every single one behave the same - well, that's more than a statistical anomaly.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top