Why Type of Coral Is This

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 14, 2021
Messages
57
Reaction score
47
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up at the LFS and was told it was a Favia. However as it’s grown out it looks little more like a chalice. Can anyone help ID this? It seems to do better with higher light and flow.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2666.MOV
    25.3 MB
Thx for the input. Sounds like my confusion is well founded.
 
Google button scoly and see what you think. Not saying it isn't a favia, could be an acan as well?
 
Acan merletti or Acan enchinata
 
Here are some still shots for anyone struggling with the video.
0AB6365D-48C6-4B5C-99C5-A741C47B7468.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 3EBA9CC1-F9B9-4000-9652-1398A7497A68.jpeg
    3EBA9CC1-F9B9-4000-9652-1398A7497A68.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 32
Here are some better ones with whites on.
DDDF958E-E4B5-42B2-ACC0-7F1998872B96.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 0410BC4A-1A40-4EA6-A111-92AEBBA5FB87.jpeg
    0410BC4A-1A40-4EA6-A111-92AEBBA5FB87.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 31
Here are some better ones with whites on.
DDDF958E-E4B5-42B2-ACC0-7F1998872B96.jpeg
Probably a favia. They may have fragged it in store and the polyp is just growing before it gets more eyes and splits up.

Edit: now I can see there is 2 mouths. One is smaller than the other.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top