Wife brought it home from the beach?

Michael Cronmiller

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2017
Messages
449
Reaction score
570
Location
Pompano beach, Fl
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so I get home from work and find this guy on my cooler...she said he was just on the beach, I didn't know what it was...lol...is there any chance of something bad happening if I try to put it in my tank to keep it alive...just have it in some salt water right now....never kept clams...it is still alive at the moment
c274750d4e71ec53be70ce18f795ad92.jpg
 
I would do it.

Correction , have done it.

A bunch.

What ocean is it from. I'm in San Diego , the water is cold so a lot of them don't survive.
 
If you have a good display tank then don't ever place any wild caught into your main tank without a QT.
The wild caught one might carry some parasite, bacteria that can wipe out your tank.
 
Bummer thanks a bunch...still might try it....have you had anything bad happen from beach critters?
No.

The only goofy thing I've had happen was when I put oysters from the store (from the Baja of ca same as turbos) they came with mud on them. I did a fresh water dip and got worms off and scrubbed them.

So do a visual for small starfish and snails. If you do a fresh water dip , shake the clam to keep it closed.
 
No.

The only goofy thing I've had happen was when I put oysters from the store (from the Baja of ca same as turbos) they came with mud on them. I did a fresh water dip and got worms off and scrubbed them.

So do a visual for small starfish and snails. If you do a fresh water dip , shake the clam to keep it closed.
Ok cool, thanks appreciate it [emoji482]
 
I'ld be nervous about going straight from the ocean to the display tank without some sort of dip. I use pro coral cure. Sometimes hydrogen peroxide too.
 
When I lived in Florida, I stocked an entire tank with fish and critters I caught while diving, and collected NSW for water changes. I never had any problems. :)
Soooo jealous.
Here I'd need a 65 degree tank. And a loan to keep it running.
 
When I lived in Florida, I stocked an entire tank with fish and critters I caught while diving, and collected NSW for water changes. I never had any problems. :)
I used to fish up and keep all the fishes I caught from Huntington Beach, Daytona Beach, Laguna Beach (rays, baby sharks...etc), everything were fine for quite sometime (maybe few years I don't remember exact time) until 1 day like usual I placed a newly fish into a main tank (after 2 months QT) and the old fishes started to die 1 by 1 without any reason within 24 hours and the one that stay alive is a new fish, so it carried something that able to kill off other fishes. I also have same exact problem with wild caught freshwater fishes, you can get everything good for years but only needed 1 bad time, 1 bad fish to wipe out entire tank over night!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top