Wild New Jersey Amphipods in reef tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter moz71
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2018
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
1,301
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could have put this post/question in several places but want to ask if you would or be wise to put copipods./amphipods/anypods into their ref tank caught from wild? I am lucky enough to live on the NJ intercoastal/bay and threw out my cast net and pulled up a chunk of seaweed (looked identical to Cheato but sure not same breed) and had MILLIONs of pods in it falling out of it and wondered if I can use to feed my fish. The question for me is there a good possibility to introduce parasites from these northern waters into a reef tank. Or can I put in holding tank theoritically and QT? any thoughts please. I could feed a lifetime of fish right from my back yard if can figure out how to do safely
 
I would first recommend not adding anything to your system that you caught out of the bay. You could indeed introduce a parasite or something else that could take your entire system out. As far as a QT setup you would have to check laws and find out about permits and such and then if you find it possible IMO you would still need a high quality QT system with a large UV system in order to culture them.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top