Will File Fish Learn to eat Aiptasia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter colejr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I've got a mimic file fish in one of my tanks. There was no aiptasia when I put him in there. I got lucky with a peppermint shrimp that has a taste for it. In my other system I do have a few in there so I'm thinking of moving him over. The peppermint in that tank is a lazy freeloader. I'm not sure the mimic file will eat the aiptasia though.
 
Was it captive-bred? If so probably not. The wild-caught ones are a coin flip if they have been in captivity for a while. I've had far more success with peppermint shrimp. I had one peppermint shrimp rid an entire 300 gallon of aptasia in a couple of weeks.
 
@mfinn @KStatefan
I am worried about a matted filefish not being able to handle the flow due to my 4 mp40’s cranked at 100% in my 180 gallon tank. Is my concern warranted?
They are not the most graceful swimmers! lol. I did have mine in really heavy flow, 4 MP60 and 2 Gyre 330. I found him stuck to a powerhead after about a month
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top