Will Loud Music Disturb Fish or Damage Tank?

I thought music soothed the savage beast?
 
Hi,

I have a 120 Gallon reef tank in my room. I recently have been playing lot's of music specifically dubstep with heavy bass in my room. The speakers are less than probably 3 feet away from the tank. When I say heavy bass in the music I mean that the sound system I have is making the entire house shake, pictures on the wall vibrate, windows rattle, etc… I don't really want to turn it down because I'm throwing parities and you need music! I was wondering if this is at all disturbing the fish or damaging the silicon or stand to the fish tank? The fish look completely calm and I feed them when the music is playing and they all eat and are happy. The stand I can feel vibrating against my hand. Should I move the entire tank somewhere else?

Thanks for any help!
Invite me next time you throw a party and I will access the situation. ;)
 
This blog was interesting to read. Hence, I signed up to be a part of this community. Well I am a beginner with aquascaping. My tank is new and I started with a 50 Litre one (15 Gallons approx). makes me a small fish in the pond currently. I was researching on few things like air pump/stone, air filter, anti chlorine mobilizer, lights, live plants to keep my fishes happy. I struck across the question of my speaker's bass volume. Both the music system and the tank are closeby in the same living room. I made sure that the bass amplifier is away from the tank which i guess is 5 meters away (on the floor). Volume at times can be at 70% but not more.. to stretch to an overall running time of 3-4 hours max on weekends. Thats all.. Other days, the volume is moderate with soothing bass playing in the background while I chill. Fishes feel relaxed but i still notice movements in the tank. It seems that they are playing but my worry is whether they are disturbed and frightened. Kindly let me know your feedback.
Welcome!
 
I'm reviving this thread - I am considering a compact, acoustic drum kit for my son. It would sit about 6 feet from my 65g tank.

I don't think the decibels would be as loud as OP here, and hoping to buy some shag carpet/work on sound dampening.

Anyone see issues here?
Only you would know how loud he’s playing what fish you have etc. in general my opinion is that the area near a tank should be quiet. I would say it’s not a good idea. I don’t think that there is a hard or fast rule. I will also add. Similar to the OP a drum set often leads to friends and other instruments etc. take it from personal experience. Is there a reason he can’t have them in his room or another room
 
Only you would know how loud he’s playing what fish you have etc. in general my opinion is that the area near a tank should be quiet. I would say it’s not a good idea. I don’t think that there is a hard or fast rule. I will also add. Similar to the OP a drum set often leads to friends and other instruments etc. take it from personal experience. Is there a reason he can’t have them in his room or another room
Ha, I didn't notice this was 11 year old thread!
 
Short answer is yes ultra low frequency can hurt a tank and fish, like an earthquake.

Can just loud music played at 90db...I'd have to say no.

Fish can't hear like us...the frequencies is what get them and the glass.

loud conversations take place in the 80db range and yelling in 90s.

Drums will hit 90+ and have reached 130db in concerts but I don't think you're talking that type of playing.

Jet take off is like 140 For reference.

You'll be fine with the drums not hurting the tank or fish.

Annoying is another question that people take as abuse.

The snare and bass drum may cause a startle affect. So based on this you may want to relocate the drum set.

From the OP statement I don't believe his stereo would hurt his fish either unless he was hitting low frequencies like 15hz and below, which take some serious equipment to produce.

I'd be more concerned about his neighbors at 9pm-1am with that noise haha

A loud system won't hurt a tank, just be annoying.

I'm listening at a constant 90bd when watching movies or playing games or music with bass hitting close to 100db and my fish don't flinch.

The tank is in an open platform living room that is roughly 3500+ cubic feet attached to another 2000cbft that the tanks are in.

No flinching from our fish during bass dropps or loudness. Pic size for reference.....

Screenshot_20240118_165215_Chrome.jpg
Here is a longer answer you might not want to hear. Pun intended. https://news.northeastern.edu/2022/...els, eight hours,damage after only 15 minutes.
 
Dubstep was a pretty good clue that the thread was old. :) Took me back a bit.

I have a pair of 18" IB subs in the same room as my tank. You have to leave the room if these get turned up loud enough... with the other frequencies to match. My McIntosh Amps play WELL below 20hz and the bass can get deep. Forget about talking, it is hard to breathe. The tank does fine, but I am also an adult and don't really play the volume all that high anymore. We mostly watch sports, TV and I listen to some music while I work down there. I also have an older Oceanic Tank and Stand and those things were built like tanks.

My guess is that you can damage yourself long before you damage your tank. I have no idea about the fish, but they seemed to like the Bill Evans, Chulahoma Black Keys and QOTSA that I was playing... they were all at the top wanting food, like normal.
 
My tank survived my college days and always blasting sound system with monster speakers. Neighbors not so much and swore my anemone moved to the beat of the bass :)
 
Last edited:
Was thinking about this yesterday watching a video of the Red Sea and commentator stated an obvious. Fish live every minute fighting for their lives. If that stress doesn’t kill them then thumping might not be as harmful as we assume. Makes one question the pet shop sign “please don’t tap on tank” because big fat dude with hot dog hanging from his mouth somehow didn’t scare them :thinking-face:
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top