Will Midas blenny get along in my tank?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2019
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
2,512
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy’s been my qt bully but then again, it’s a small sad environment for any fish. Wondering if it’s best to rehome him or if he may get along in my 110g DT. Other residents:

- yellow wrasse
- flasher wrasse
- blue sided wrasse
- yellow tale damsel
- engineer goby
- 2 ocellaris clowns
- 2 cleaner gobys
- 1 disbar anthias (female)
- 1 Lyretail anthias (male)
- yellow stripped blenny
- lawnmower blenny

Would love some feedback. It’ll be a serious pain catching him on the dt if he needs to be removed.
 
Try reposting this question in the general “Reef Aquarium Discussion” or “Fish Discussion” forum. This is the gear head forum. :)
 
This blenny will appreciate a minimum tank of 30 gallons or larger with numerous rocks on which to perch. Sometimes, the Midas Blenny will vex small planktivores and has been known to nip at firefish and gobies. Larger tanks are advantageous as many of the Midas Blenny's aggressive behavior traits seem to relate to a confining tank situation.
 
I expect he will take immediate issue with the yellow stripped blenny. Might not be WWIII but won’t be friends. Others look to be ok from what I’ve witnesssed.
 
This guy’s been my qt bully but then again, it’s a small sad environment for any fish. Wondering if it’s best to rehome him or if he may get along in my 110g DT. Other residents:

- yellow wrasse
- flasher wrasse
- blue sided wrasse
- yellow tale damsel
- engineer goby
- 2 ocellaris clowns
- 2 cleaner gobys
- 1 disbar anthias (female)
- 1 Lyretail anthias (male)
- yellow stripped blenny
- lawnmower blenny

Would love some feedback. It’ll be a serious pain catching him on the dt if he needs to be removed.
I would say it's a definite maybe...

I am currently having the same problem in my QT with a Bicolor Blenny. I have never seen one that is overly aggressive before but I have never had one in a QT until now. I brought one home 2 days ago and put him in a 10 gal QT along with a small blue tang and within 12 hours my Blue Tang was torn up. I couldn't figure out what was happening to him until I watched for a little while and saw the Blenny chase and then latch onto the little guy. Last night I put the Blenny in an isolation cube inside the QT until I can figure out what I'm gonna do with him.
 
I expect he will take immediate issue with the yellow stripped blenny. Might not be WWIII but won’t be friends. Others look to be ok from what I’ve witnesssed.

The stripped blenny is venemous. I assume it can take care of itself no?
 
My guess is if it is aggressive in qt then it will probably be aggressive in your display tank as well.
Some aggression can be due to lack of space. Territorial issues arise between frustrated and stressed fish. A proper sized tank with a natural environment will alleviate those issues. If aggression is caused by other factors of course, a larger tank won’t solve the issue.
 
Some aggression can be due to lack of space. Territorial issues arise between frustrated and stressed fish. A proper sized tank with a natural environment will alleviate those issues. If aggression is caused by other factors of course, a larger tank won’t solve the issue.
Yes, but it can also come down to the temperament of the individual fish. My Midas is a little nippy towards fish that swim into his territory in a 125, but overall he isn't that bad.
Unfortunately there is only one way to know for a fact if it'll be aggressive in your display.
 
Yes, but it can also come down to the temperament of the individual fish. My Midas is a little nippy towards fish that swim into his territory in a 125, but overall he isn't that bad.
Unfortunately there is only one way to know for a fact if it'll be aggressive in your display.
that’s what I’m afraid of lol
 
The stripped blenny is venemous. I assume it can take care of itself no?

Yeah, I had a Kamohara and it ended up being submissive. When I said take issue, I didn't mean death... but they will squabble.

I suspect things will work out, but how much territorial aggression and for how long is impossible to know.
 
Yeah, I had a Kamohara and it ended up being submissive. When I said take issue, I didn't mean death... but they will squabble.

I suspect things will work out, but how much territorial aggression and for how long is impossible to know.

hmmm... which would you say should go in first. Right now, they’re both in separate qt
 
I don't know that it matters.

I had the kamohara in for a couple months and then added the midas. Things were fine for awhile and then the midas decided to steal the kamohara's sleeping spot... and not give up any other. The kamohara ended up kinda homeless. It died some months later during a tank transfer, unrelated. Still have the midas... he hasn't shown any other continuous aggression to others, just normal swipes; particularly at feeding time.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top