Will this frag tank hooked up to main tank idea work?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2020
Messages
1,561
Reaction score
1,051
Location
Lincolnton
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29gal with 20gal sump. Recently I’ve learned that I’m 1. Running out of coral room 2. Kind of addicted to zoas and palys. I have a spare 10 gal and 5 gal and would love to hook up one or two to the main tank. I don’t know the exact logistics of what would go on inside but i know which light I want
This one: LED Aquarium Light – Aquarium LED Lights 30W Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control and 3W Cree Chips for Coral Reef Fish Nano Tank And then have a small maybe 90gph bird bath pumping water from my return chamber to the frag tank and then another one from frag tank to filter sock chamber. Will this affect my original tank system?

I’m assuming I might need a small power head to keep things moving? Any advice, questions, comments will be welcome
 
This is how I'd say most frag systems are plumbed. I have a 120g tank with a 40g frag tank hooked into a single sump. The one problem with your strategy is that it would be tough to keep the pumps exactly the same so that there's no change in the balance. You just have to get the frag tank to be a normal overflow.
 
You just have to get the frag tank to be a normal overflow.
What are you meaning by this? Like I’ll have to dial the pumps in to be like a normal overflow or I’ll have to drill and plump it into the system?
 
What are you meaning by this? Like I’ll have to dial the pumps in to be like a normal overflow or I’ll have to drill and plump it into the system?
You'll need to drill it. If you have 2 pumps, one going each way, even one being slightly off from the other is going to throw things out of wack.
 
You'll need to drill it. If you have 2 pumps, one going each way, even one being slightly off from the other is going to throw things out of wack.
Maybe I just need to save and upgrade tanks lowkey. Even like a 55 or something
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top