Would a 36g tall bowfront make a good reef tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter glb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2013
Messages
8,141
Reaction score
3,367
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428706689.092491.jpg


I've had this tank for years and am wondering if it would make a good reef tank. I've never used medications in it. I've heard tall tanks can be a hassle to move things around, more difficulty with 02 exchanged, etc. would I be better off with a 40g breeder? I've had a 12g nano for 5 years so I'm familiar with SW tanks, but I want to add another one. Any thoughts?
 
I have this tank as a reef tank and I love it. The only downside is you need to scrub the front glass instead of using a metal scraper. I thought it was wonderful to aquascape though.
 
It actually depends on the corals you plan on keeping and the lighting you'll be using. Especially for corals at/near the bottom. Light has to be strong enough to reach the bottom. Or you'll wind up with a bunch of brown looking corals [emoji6]
 
It actually depends on the corals you plan on keeping and the lighting you'll be using. Especially for corals at/near the bottom. Light has to be strong enough to reach the bottom. Or you'll wind up with a bunch of brown looking corals [emoji6]

I'll be using leds and will probably start with soft corals and LPS. Yes, the depth was a concern for me too, but it is a really pretty tank.
 
I have a 4 bulb T5 fixture and it has been pretty good for my corals. I do have a dsb so that makes the tank shallower.
Thanks glib for the kind words!
 
Are t5's expensive to run?
 
I am not sure about the electricity, it is more than leds though. Also I replace the bulbs every year (technically it should be every 9 months) and the bulbs are $10-$20 each. So I guess the answer to your question is yes. The fixture is cheaper than an led fixture though, 'so pay now or pay later'.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top