WYSIWYG or Not a WYSIWYG?

Reefhabit

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
494
Reaction score
84
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I recently made an online wysiwyg coral purchase from an online vendor. This is not a vendor bashing thread. I just wanted to get some of your opinion whether or not the frag I received constitutes as WYSIWYG or not. My argument was that if I had known the coral was colored down I would never have made the purchase. Again do not ask me where I got this coral from because this is not a vendor bashing thread. I just feel I have been wronged and the vendor completely disagrees with me.
So far everyone I have spoke to said it's not a wysiwyg if the colors are completely different from the original photo.

Vendor's photo
T9888__92924.1458232168.500.750_zps9zuunvsa.jpg


Photo of the coral after unboxing
2016-03-23%2013.51.33_zps70pcbry0.jpg
 
Usually vendors will write a disclaimer stating that lighting and water conditions will play a part on how the actual coral looks. I wouldn't be happy but technically it is wysiwyg because it's the exact same corals.
 
Hi Guys,
I recently made an online wysiwyg coral purchase from an online vendor. This is not a vendor bashing thread. I just wanted to get some of your opinion whether or not the frag I received constitutes as WYSIWYG or not. My argument was that if I had known the coral was colored down I would never have made the purchase. Again do not ask me where I got this coral from because this is not a vendor bashing thread. I just feel I have been wronged and the vendor completely disagrees with me.
So far everyone I have spoke to said it's not a wysiwyg if the colors are completely different from the original photo.

Vendor's photo
T9888__92924.1458232168.500.750_zps9zuunvsa.jpg


Photo of the coral after unboxing
2016-03-23%2013.51.33_zps70pcbry0.jpg
It looks to be the top photo was shot with a gel filter. As the piece you recieved, looks like the piece you bought but 99.5% not as vibrant
 
Yes it's the same coral but the colors dont even come close. I just would never have bought it if it looked so colored down. I myself would never do that to someone.
 
Definitely the same coral. Has this had a chance to recover from shipping stress?
 
Yes it has and it still looks the same.
I've purchased majority of my corals especially chalices on the net and never had one brown out during shipment. Bleached yes but not browned out.
 
Yes it has and it still looks the same.
I've purchased majority of my corals especially chalices on the net and never had one brown out during shipment. Bleached yes but not browned out.
 
There certainly look to be some color saturation changes made to that photo but from what I see it looks like purple was pushed up, not red.
 
So I messed with the image a bit to try and make the substrate under the frag look more realistic.... Here's what that looks like. That's not to say this is an accurate adjustment. Doing this in reverse is also not a terribly accurate thing to do. Do you have a higher res image from the vendor or is this it?

original.jpg
 
Based on the eye placement it looks very similar, color is 100% different
 
I know it's the same piece but thats not my issue.
Most if not all chalices look the best under straight blues but Ive tried taking photos of it under white spectrums along with blue spectrum leds and I've tried taking a photo of it under t5. Even if I pulled out my 20k halides there is no way it will look like the coral in the photo in terms of color even after photoshopping the image.
The vendor said they did not photoshop the photo and that it looked just like the coral in the photo in terms of color when they bagged it up and shipped it. I know that's complete nonsense because I sell quite a bit of chalices and never had that issue of the color changing during shipment. Never unless it bleached but this is clearly not a case of bleaching.
 
I just looked at the photo.... basically, there's very minimal blue in there. It was probably all washed out with that 20K type look and they tried to remove it.
 
They are saying there was no photoshop!!!!! Not even correction?..... oh it's time to bust out the real software techniques!
 
Yes they said no photoshop and that the photo was not altered. Lol
Oh well I guess I learned an expensive lesson the hard way.
I just won't do business with them or promote them.
Too bad considering I've spent tens of thousands on chalices alone last year.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top