Yellow coris wrasse skimming/pacing tank surface

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trever
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Trever

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Messages
671
Reaction score
354
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone seen this behavior before in a wrasse like this? See below.

I have a 1 year old 33 gallon cube. It has 5 small fish and some beginner sps and encrusting corals, a few zoas, and an acan.

The 5 fish have been in the tank together since the beginning of the tank. All started out as very young fish. No signs of disease, and all the fish are acting like they usually do.

Except the yellow coris wrasse. Ever since we came back from a 9 day vacation (where feeding was NLS pellets via autofeeder going into a surface feeding ring), he spends a lot of time cruising right at the surface, his dorsal fin actually breaking the surface, and looking as if he's trying but forever failing to poke his nose out.

I don't know if this is an adaptation to trying to get whatever pellets he could when we were gone on vacation? He is unable to surface feed from the ring. Instead, if another fish causes a pellet(s) to begin sinking, he nabs those pellets. So I assume he got sufficient food when we were on vacation, though not his usual stuffing.

He definitely doesn't do this surface skimming all the time, so I often see him cruising and poking everywhere, as he usually does. He continues to sleep in the sand. But maybe 40% of the time, he's on the surface now. He NEVER went near the surface before, which is what is so weird.

None of the other fish are hanging out unusually like this at the surface, it's definitely not an O2 issue, that just wouldn't make any sense.

This new behavior is such a departure, because normally he is the fish that explores the most- all over the rock work, all over the tank, doing a lot of vertical travel too, poking his nose everywhere, and hovering nose-to-nose with my diamond back gobby, waiting to see if the sand sifting kicks up something he might eat (there never seems to be anything).

This wrasse is very well fed (I overfeed, including the fish! :-).

I have been concerned that he will soon be too big for this tank. I got some bad information when I bought him, and not sure I'd put a fish like him in a tank this size again. On the other hand, when he roams around and up and down, he seems to have a lot of room. There's actually less room for him sticking to the surface.
 
Interesting! :) It sounds like it just learned to smell for food at the surface and grab pellets when available. I'm assuming it's one of the yellow Halichoerus wrasses and you probably should expect to rehome it in the near future.
 
Yeah that's the fish. Likely I'll give him away soon to a local club member since we're probably moving soon anyways. He seems to be ok- the cube helps his exploratory swimming style-he uses the volume. But he's getting bigger and bigger.... not many spots left on his fins.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top