Yellow Tang Ferociously Attacking Copperband Butterfly

Good for you, I think you did the right thing! Although some might not like no QT, it's good to realize our little tanks are a delicate balance and sometimes livestock just doesn't work out no matter how much we want it to or read how it's worked for others.
 
I will be setting up a 240 gal or maybe bigger 8 foot long acrylic show tank with lots of live rocks and lots of assorted tall and wide fake corals (petsmart) from my 3 100 gallon tanks. My objective, to house and test compatability of my medium Majestic, regal, Annularus, Asfur, younger Cortez, koran, emperor angels together all mostly friendly and non agressive at present... And yes, a fairly large group of 6 or so Copperbands and other assorted butterflies and blue tangs, orange butterflies, heniocus I notice do play and school together occassionaly in the 100s. Also to test the waters with my non agressive powder blue and white cheek tangs and batfish in the tank before putting in most of the rock and coral in case I need to remove any for agression or territorial problems when blending the 3 100 gal tanks occupants. together To bad for the brown tang and regal tang who didn't make the cut for the move! The 6 firefish (was 8 but 2 jumped out) and clowns can finally have a break from all the relentless tangs darting around.
 
When you say 6 copperbands and other butterflies, do you mean a total of six butterflies total or 6 copperbands plus other butterflies?

Also, as those angels grow expect casualties.
 
I just found this thread as my Yellow Tang just killed our prize Copperband last night. It was super sad. We had the copperband for about 5 years now and my 4 year old named him Peanut Butter Cup, a great name for a copperband I think. There was the occasional chase here or there but I never saw anything that made me worry. But as we were reading on the couch last night, the yellow tang just attacked the butterfly's face and tore his delicate mouth to shreds. It happened in the blink of an eye and the butterfly just melted down. I removed the copperband and placed him in quarantine, but he didn't make it overnight. It was a really sad night and morning. I've had hundreds of fish over decades and this was my favorite by a mile. No other fish I've ever had compared. I could hand feed that fish if I wanted. He was the most active and gorgeous fish I ever had. No one could look at the tank and not comment on how beautiful he was. I don't know why this combination works so well in some tanks and not others, but this was unfortunate.
 
Sorry to hear that. What was the tank size?

I had a yellow tang go postal in my 90, killing a pearlscale butterfly. They had been together about a year, give or take.
 
Sorry to hear that. What was the tank size?

I had a yellow tang go postal in my 90, killing a pearlscale butterfly. They had been together about a year, give or take.


It was admittingly small. 75 gallons. I had planned to relocate the yellow tang if/when he became aggressive, but this just kind of happened all of a sudden. The tang has been with him for few years now. Frustrating, I just should have removed him a long time ago. I got him to help with some algae. I should have known better.
 
It was admittingly small. 75 gallons. I had planned to relocate the yellow tang if/when he became aggressive, but this just kind of happened all of a sudden. The tang has been with him for few years now. Frustrating, I just should have removed him a long time ago. I got him to help with some algae. I should have known better.

Don't beat yourself up. I've had similar experiences.

Due to those experiences, I think a 75/90 is okay for certain tangs, but I always recommend that folks choose one tang and make it the only laterally compressed fish.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top