Your favorite tools not related to reef keeping

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Joined
Dec 15, 2015
Messages
8,048
Reaction score
46,934
Location
Manassas Va
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought it would be interesting for everyone to share some of there favorite non aquarium related tools or other items they use for reefing.. Please share how item is used, where to purchase and some pictures if possible..

I'll start with one of my favorite items, saw these giant bamboo tweezers at my LFS in the reptile section.. They are perfect for placing and removing frags, spot feeding and retrieving small items on bottom of tank or behind rocks especially in nano's.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 
I use 60cc syringes for all kinds of water sampling and feeding:
tmp_images(4)1976380859.jpeg


I also use one gallon pitchers to hold wet filter media and transfer water as well as drip acclimation:
tmp_images(5)507864378.jpeg
 
My favorite tool is a 2017 supercharged 700HP Shelby cobra.
 
My $5 sippy cup Kalkwasser drip system :D Cup from Wally World + .99 cent air valve and some old air line..

image.png
 
My $5 sippy cup Kalkwasser drip system :D Cup from Wally World + .99 cent air valve and some old air line..

image.png

I need this. How do you get the drip started?!?!

I went to the dollar store and hit up their cooking department. All sorts of nice things for a reef tank.
I always modify my turkey basters by putting glue around the base of the bulb, to make it air and water proof. That always seems to be my biggest issue with them.
 
I need this. How do you get the drip started?!?!
I went to the dollar store and hit up their cooking department. All sorts of nice things for a reef tank.
I always modify my turkey basters by putting glue around the base of the bulb, to make it air and water proof. That always seems to be my biggest issue with them.

Just open the valve all the way and blow into the "Spout" to prime the line and then simply adjust to achieve the drip of your preference.. I can get it down to about 1 drop every 15-20 seconds, the only issue with this system is the valve will clog over time from deposits I just clean it with hot running water every time I refill the cup.
 
A glass scrapper wider than usual aquarium ones, replacement blades locally available and cheap enough for single use... Cleans very well and hasn't caused scratches

image.jpg
 
My mini Infrared heat gun for checking head temps on my RC helicopters.. I use this very accurate tool for spot checking tank temps to verify my thermometer is reading properly and it's also great for taking temp of pumps and power heads if you are fighting heat proplems, you need to raise the pump/powerhead out of water for accurate readings..

image.jpeg
 
Reptile feeding tongs 12", sometimes just don't want to get my hands wet or in a hard to safely reach area.
Syringes if various sizes
Turkey baster
1 gallon water jugs for dosing containers
Zip ties
Chip clips for floating bags to keep them from floating around the tank and possibly breaking coral tips.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top