Your going to think I'm nuts but hear goes

  • Thread starter Thread starter TomTom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

TomTom

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Jeffersonville,IN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the fresh water to salt about a year ago. Using the same equ. and doing what I can. I have a 72 Bow with canister filters. Over the past year I have had and have some beautiful fish and some nice corals. Its time to upgrade. I want to go from the 72 to 125 tall. To get this started used equ. is cheep right now. I can buy a 125 not drilled at a good price but I can't sell the bow for much. The 125 will set in the living room (quite) and the sump will be in the basement. Overflows are nosey and not as safe as I would like. I have seen a video where they drilled the back and but a PVC across the back with a slot in the top with two returns. I can drill the glass and cut the slots and plumb to the sump. There is about a $300.00 difference between used and new drilled.I have taken some black ABS pipe and assembled it and it will look good. The difference is time to save up the money. The next thing is if I can't sell the 72 for much I will use it for my sump. I have the room for the 72 and did some studying on building a sump. I will also have a 30 gal. refugium tank overflowing into the 72. Now you know I'm nuts. Tom
 
I would see if you can find a used drilled tank.

I've drilled a tank before and while it can be considered easy, which I do think so. I do feel drilling is not worth the risk of losing everything. If the glass pane breaks your out a lot more than the 300 more on a new reef setup.

My suggestion is to search around for a reef ready, take your time and wait for a deal you can't pass up. You would thank yourself for getting already drilled.
 
I have two suggestions:
1. Don't buy a used tank if it's acrylic. Always go new with acrylic.
2. Buy one that's drilled (or have a professional drill it for you.) It could save you a TRUCKLOAD of headaches.
 
Thanks. The next question is I have read you want to turn 10 gal per Hr. I know to do this at 10' I will need a good pump. The same pump to run the skimmer and refugium it will have to be 2000 gal. pr. Hr. Is this a good # and any suggestions? Reeflo is the only I one I have found that works.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top