Your thoughts on custom tank manufacturers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoshH
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Who are your top 3 Custom Tank Manufacturers???


  • Total voters
    309
I had an absolutely horrible experience with Coast 2 Coast and would never, ever, EVER buy from them again or recommend them to anyone else. Tank was about $6K, 7' x 28" by 25". Tank was delivered to freight depot, not to my home. I went there, opened crate, and climbed in looking for the sort of damage you would expect: did the tank get cracked? Seeing no cracks, I climbed out and signed off to take possession. Unfortunately, only after getting the tank home and fully disassembling the crate -- something not reasonably possible at a commercial freight depot -- was I able to see what a sh**ty job C2C did.

Bracing had numerous chips, and there was grotesque fissuring of the silicone between the bracing panels all the way around the tank. (See pictures below; just one panel shown.) I had been talked out of starphire for the bracing -- was told it was so narrow you wouldn't notice the difference -- but the regular old float glass stood out like a sore thumb with its greenish edges. Plus, it wasn't even polished smooth, giving it a wavy/distorted appearance when viewed edge on.

I called C2C to complain about the workmanship, and was told too bad, so sad, you signed off on it. I was also told, well, you don't focus on the tank, you focus on the life in the tank. (For 6K, I'm looking for a tank that is as beautiful as the life in it.) They also told me that the fissures in the silicone are as per what they told me could happen. What they TOLD me was that "the anomalies in the seams are not covered in the warranty...they just happen. Although they are not usually a "bubble" as much as a sort of ripple, they are just an unfortunate aesthetic result of the silicone doing what it does, shrinking and grabbing the glass from both sides." That was a gross misrepresentation; those are hardly "ripples."

When I showed them pictures of the chips in the glass, they told me that UPS must have damaged the tank by dropping it. For a while, I believed them, given how I saw forklift operator manhandle the tank in the warehouse. When putting together a quote to have the tank replaced at UPS' expense, C2C asked if I wanted them to include the cost to rebuild with starphire bracing as I had originally requested. In other words, stick UPS with the higher cost of a rebuild to do things right, as I had originally requested. (I declined; that's just plain dishonest.) Subsequently, I saw other people posting online with similarly cr*ppy workmanship, and I realized it was C2C's fault, not UPS'. Even though UPS had offered me about $2300 to resolve the matter, I dropped the claim against them and declined to take the money. It just wouldn't have been right to do so.

Thoroughly disgusted with the tank, I cut off the bracing (no easy task THAT was) with plans to re-do it myself. C2C tells me that I voided the warranty doing so, since I "released pressure" and now the structural integrity was compromised. After some discussion, they told me that if I brought the tank up to them in NJ, they would re-brace it and the warranty would be restored. So if cutting off the bracing "released pressure" and ruined the structure and hence the tank, how is it that they could re-warrant after THEY re-braced the tank??? If you ask me, they were talking out of their ****. Also, they would only re-brace as per their original configuration, not a different configuration per my request that would eliminate the inter-panel fissuring, so I told them I would do it myself. When I asked if I could buy some of the "special-formula" silicone that is allegedly only made for them, they refused. They claimed they had spent too much money developing the formula, and it's patented and the trade secrets........ (Note: I'm a patent attorney; I found NO patents to C2C or the owner or salesman pertaining to silicone (or any other product.....); just plan b.s.)

During phone call at same time period, owner asks whether I had bad-mouthed the company on line. At that time, I had not posted about them, so I said, "No." His response: "Good. Because I will make it my life's mission to go after anyone who badmouths the company." Is THIS the sort of company you want to do business with?

Ultimately, I re-braced the tank myself. It took me two years to get clean lines with silicone and a final product that makes me happy, with the tank sitting in the garage and preventing me from getting my car in the whole time. Given glass for two attempts to re-create original configuration that went south (once due to panels getting bonded together in wrong orientation prematurely, necessitating a whole new set of glass panels), followed by other configuration I went with; at least two dozen tubes of silicone; razor blades; cleaning supplies; etc. etc. etc., I probably put another $2k into the tank before it was ready to go forward with the build.

What kills me is that originally I had ordered from Reef Savvy, but the six-month deliver-by date came and went. Felix was apologetic and offered to make things right, but I was impatient and cancelled the order and went with C2C. How I wish I had stayed the course with Reef Savvy....... my experience with C2C was bad news all the way around.

IMG_2286.JPG IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2284.JPG

Thank you for sharing your experience and all I can say is wow. That is incredibly disappointing to read. Getting a new tank is supposed to be an exciting time and that's certainly not what you experienced. After all you have been through I hope your tank is set up now and you can put this all behind you
 
Props for my experience buying a tank and matching stand from Reef Savvy. The tank and stand were reasonably priced and saved a lot of time. You don’t hear much talk about stands but these are made with the same high quality that Reef Savvy is known for.

1FDDA517-7DBF-46DD-8A8F-7FCAD1C7D86E.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I’ve got a coast2coast tank 1/2 thick low iron glass front an sides 48lx24Dx20T euro-braced center overflow 100g Herbie drain dual return and I think the quality on this build was impressive on both tank & stand
 
Last edited:
Props for my experience buying a tank and matching stand from Reef Savvy. The tank and stand were reasonably priced and saved a lot of time. You don’t hear much talk about stands but these are made with the same high quality that Reef Savvy is known for.

1FDDA517-7DBF-46DD-8A8F-7FCAD1C7D86E.jpeg

That's awesome, thanks for sharing! TBH I didn't know Reef Savvy offered stands along with there tanks, I can hopefully assume they are fantastic as well? Was the stand crazy expensive as well? How big is your tank?

I’ve got a coast2coast tank 48lx24Dx20T and the build quality is impressive

Care to share more about your build? I love those dimensions:)
 
That's awesome, thanks for sharing! TBH I didn't know Reef Savvy offered stands along with there tanks, I can hopefully assume they are fantastic as well? Was the stand crazy expensive as well? How big is your tank?



Care to share more about your build? I love those dimensions:)


Currently it sits dry just moved into a new place my current wet set up is. Lagoon 25 with a im10 as the ato controlled by an apex
 
That's awesome, thanks for sharing! TBH I didn't know Reef Savvy offered stands along with there tanks, I can hopefully assume they are fantastic as well? Was the stand crazy expensive as well? How big is your tank?

Care to share more about your build? I love those dimensions:)

Thanks on the dimensions. I had the tank built to fit into a specific space in my old home office so it came out to 109 gallons. The exact measurements are in my build thread at https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-shallow-dream-build-60-×-30-×-17.487004/. The cost for the tank was $1800 and the stand was an additional $700. Since I live in Florida and had a truck at the time, I just drove to Reef Savvy and had them load it up, which was free of charge. I've seen others put a lot of time into making a custom stand and it was a plus to not have to worry about that. Just something to consider no matter who you go with.

I'm getting ready to sell the entire setup because I'm traveling a lot nowadays. If you know anyone in Florida that might be interested, please pass on my info!
 
I purchased my first tank (72" x 24" x 30") from Miracles. Great tank and stand combo. Derek is easy to really easy to work with. I highly recommend them. I'm now working on my second tank and will go with Miracles again.

Mark
 
I had one. It arrived scratched and the bulkhead holes were the wrong size and so close to the edge of the bottom pane that I had to notch the stand.

I used Tank Me USA for this tank and had no issues, absolutely everything was exactly as planned.
 
My custom tank comes early next month. It’s from none of the vendors you got listed, but a rather new company that split off from a fish store. Really hoping it comes out as well as I expect— would be very awkward if not. (I’m paying 2nd half upon them delivering)
 
Glad I read this when I did, currently have about 6 emails out to different companies for quotes - pretty much all named here minus Reef Savvy purely due to price and wait time. I was really looking at C2C and TankMeUSA. C2C is absolutely off the list regardless of the quote given.
 
Glad I read this when I did, currently have about 6 emails out to different companies for quotes - pretty much all named here minus Reef Savvy purely due to price and wait time. I was really looking at C2C and TankMeUSA. C2C is absolutely off the list regardless of the quote given.

Did you see that TankMe has prices listed on their site, for many models of tanks? Very fair at that.
 
Did you see that TankMe has prices listed on their site, for many models of tanks? Very fair at that.

Sure did, only I think those are only estimated from previous builds. I did inquire with them about the 180 as well as the 84” 210 as I’m limited on depth. Hopefully the prices are still similar to what’s shown as that would be very competitive considering the quality is comparable to reef savvy whose a much higher price.
 
Sure did, only I think those are only estimated from previous builds. I did inquire with them about the 180 as well as the 84” 210 as I’m limited on depth. Hopefully the prices are still similar to what’s shown as that would be very competitive considering the quality is comparable to reef savvy whose a much higher price.

I think Miracles and Tank Me are one of very few who list there prices online, SCA and Custom Aquariums do I believe as well. But its really nice to not have to fire off a quote to know what ball park price you're looking at.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top