YWG suddenly dead. What should I look for?

Yes - egg laying flukes produce sticky eggs that attached to live rock and can easily be moved tank to tank. Then, fluke infections are slow to take off - possibly months can go by with no symptoms in the fish.....

Jay
Ouch. I think I will start recording fish breathing rates so I have a baseline to compare with in case they behave weird.
Hopefully it is not flukes.
 
No I know that. But we are responsible for the wellness of the fish we keep and if they die for something I do it p**ses me off.
Also he might have died for natural causes (he was quite huge, maybe was old) but given that I am having quite a lot of problems with the tank between GHA, dinos and corals not growing a single mm in months I tend to think that I did something wrong
Most of what we do is trial and error. Just because someone has a lot of experience doesn’t mean they have the correct answer. All tanks are different. Were trying to have a mini reef in our house. Its tough.
 
Ok thanks everyone for the feedback. I truly hope it was a natural death of age or lingering- non incfectious disease. Next week I am going to leave the tank unattended in autopilot mode for about 10 days so I have limited margin of action..
 
Most of what we do is trial and error. Just because someone has a lot of experience doesn’t mean they have the correct answer. All tanks are different. Were trying to have a mini reef in our house. Its tough.
Yes sometimes I think its even too ambitious. Then I see some peoples tank and I want to reach something like that too.
 
Would amphidinium kill a big goby? He survived the ostreopsis outbreak..
Oh I don't know. I had a YWG in my tank for about a month then he started glass surfing stressed instead of chilling with his cave. It was obvious the environment was not to his liking so I had to bring him back to my LFS.
 
Yes sometimes I think its even too ambitious. Then I see some peoples tank and I want to reach something like that too.
I want the same thing you want if it happens it happens if not it is what it is.

My dad had a tank when i was kid late 80’s. 29 gal tall 2 clowns, huge bta and a 12”eel. Had it for years. Never tested a thing, changed the water but once every other month(and thats a maybe) and had that tank for years. No algae but the uglys. I don’t get why its so hard now to tell you the truth.
 
Oh I don't know. I had a YWG in my tank for about a month then he started glass surfing stressed instead of chilling with his cave. It was obvious the environment was not to his liking so I had to bring him back to my LFS.
Is swimming against the glass a sign of stress? I had my YWG doing it from time to time and also my sixline does that every now and then. I thought it was just something that they do when they see they reflection against the glass and display some territorial behavior
 
Is swimming against the glass a sign of stress? I had my YWG doing it from time to time and also my sixline does that every now and then. I thought it was just something that they do when they see they reflection against the glass and display some territorial behavior
Not always but can be an indicator. YWG are bottom rock dwellers when they start swimming up and down the glass near the top something is wrong in their environment.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top